Fresh snow is pretty. Slushy mush is not. But as Yvonne noted, ugly is not always bad. Slush shows progress- snow has to get ugly before spring is truly here.
I really think you all could agree with me on this one. Tacky Christmas decorations still up in February is ugly. Especially the misshaped bell one. This is aesthetically ugly.
And this. This is a pile of shit. My dad always said you could say that word if you were talking about the real thing (as in "we're going to the barn to pitch shit") and this is it. Sure it has some pleasing texture to the picture, but who's going to call it pretty or beautiful? If you are tempted to call it that then you should smell it. Once again though, ugly isn't bad- this pile is going to be really good fertilizer for the field it is sitting on the edge of. Organic fertilizer at that. And that, my friends, is good (but not cute.)So- as I said, or Yvonne said, ugly isn't a bad thing. It just gives us a counterpoint to all the pretty and cute. As a professor of mine once said (I don't have it word for word) if you lived in a red box and never saw the color green, you really wouldn't know/understand the color red. He was a geography prof- and he said it in reference to traveling, but I think it can work here too.
So next I will move on to gritty.
Gritty is more aesthetically pleasing than ugly. It has more of the connotation of "being real." Real life is gritty- as much as we want life to be pretty, it just isn't all the time.
Some examples of gritty life- going on a romantic Valentines date with hubby and hitting a deer and smushing car on the way there (happened a few years back.) Or the adorable little girl with a boogery nose. Gritty is what defines real life from storybook life. Gritty is interesting.
(A side note: my house is real gritty, but in a literal sense. There are crumbs underfoot. That is genuine life over here.)
So think about gritty. Have you got any good examples from your own life?
12 comments:
manohman, you are making us use our 'ole noggins this week girl - i'll get back w/ you on "gritty". i especially like that word.
I think this is fun (and funny). It's not dark... just real. Gritty... crabby kids on Christmas morning. Been enjoying your sketches too. Keep it up! :)
I would have to agree that the christmas decorations are awfully ugly and the slush is more sloppy than ugly, but that impressive pile of shit certainly isn't. "There's gold in that thar hill." (I quoted Lanny there...) That plentiful pile of poop is pretty to me, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'cute'. It means a pretty plentiful crop come harvest time.
Me. I'm gritty today. Whining, headaches and utter frustration make for grittiness.
Gritty...? My boys fighting most of the day yesterday. Made me downright 'gritty' by night's end.
And, the clutter around the house that I need to purge is definitely 'gritty'.
eyes at 3am, burning from lack of sleep, each blink scraping the corneas raw....that's gritty
~ann b.
what about the nitty gritty dirt bands song "long hard road?" check out the lyrics.
i'm grittin' my teeth every time i see that 13 x 9 pan of brownies on the counter and chanting, "i will not have a piece today, i will not have a piece today..."
Well.. I have ugly for you... The ice rink shot and its only the middle of Feb. Do we start again or not?
This house is gritty and not a good way, now if I can just get off this computer.
And it sounds like Mid February is just all around gritty for many of us. :)
The 412.38 miles that are seperating me from where I want to be right now are pretty gritty.
Gritty...hmmm. Definately those nasty bells and tackiness hanging from the poles. And a baby that needs to be out of my belly but is taking it's sweet time, painful contractions and wanting to go on a date. :)
gritty....hmmm, the baby spit up that always seems to be present on my shoulder and dripped down my back?
The endless clutter in the house?
The dirt yard with no snow cover and no grass? No, that's ugly...I'll take the snow.
Have fun at your VDay party....sounds like good times.
Post a Comment