My first job as a high schooler was tie-dying t-shirts at a local tourist attraction. We (my sister and I) demonstrated how to do it and helped customers do their own. And then I got to rinse, rinse, rinse the dye out. I know pretty much about tie-dying. I made $3.65 an hour at this first job.So there is some history for you, short of posting my resume. I gotta go now, I am volunteering in Sam's classroom today, helping the students paint self portraits.
In my single years I worked a temp job for a company that made penile implants. And other urology products, too. I was in the document dept. (junior documentation specialist?) so I saw lots of blueprints for these apparatuses. I filed lots of those blueprints. I worked there for 4 months-it was worth it just for the conversation piece.
I was also a Girl Scout camp counselor for a summer. Near Fairbanks, Alaska. Some of the campers were flown down from the North Slope. They were not used to trees. They don't have them on the tundra. One particular camper I remember was a little girl with her two front teeth missing told me her favorite game was "mooth, mooth, grizzthly bear." We don't play that here in MN, we play "duck, duck. goose." At camp, the moose would come out at night and feed in the lake (yep, it was light out all night.)
I have also had the titles of CNA, waitress, Enumerator, Art Director (graphic design) and substitute teacher. I did a bit of bookkeeping once and I did workstudy in the sociology and art departments. Currently I am mom, clerk and the activities lady.
There have been two jobs (in hindsight) I wish I would have taken (they were offered.) One was to work in Outdoor Program Center in college- which would have involved some planning and leading students on outdoor trips such as hiking and canoeing, etc. I turned it down to work in the art department, which I did because I was an art major. That was good too- I had opportunities to do fun projects for my professors (like cleaning sinks) but I do regret not doing the OPC job.
The other one was a floral design job. I could not take the job because it would have been more hours than I could do. I did not want to commit to full time. This was while Ron was laid up with
his broken leg. I think the lady offered me the job because I wrote on the application that I could make nice bows. (Yes, I do know how!) So, maybe the job wouldn't have been that great, but I think working among flowers would be really uplifting. However, instead, I started working at the assisted living home, where I am working now, and that has been a great experience too.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Lesser known facts.
Okay, I haven't sketched for awhile. I haven't taken any photos. So, I'll do a history lesson about some of the more interesting jobs I have had in my life:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
LOL. Great temp job! I bet that was worth it just to see people's expression when you told them where you worked.
The most interesting one to me is your job in Alaska. Sounds like fun. I always wanted to work at a summer camp. It would be fun.
i'm with ya on everything except enumerator....what's that?
~ ann b.
Sounds like you've had your share of interesting jobs! :) I didn't realize it was legal to pay somebody so little in my? lifetime! :)
Did I know we had the whole urology job-thing in common...? I'm trying to remember, I have the worst memory...!
I worked at a place in the cities--saw plenty of diagrams and plastic models, etc... Definitely the most interesting place I ever worked! Haha!
I started as a temp. and ended up staying on far too long. (Horrible office politics. The worst I've ever seen in a work place...)
Hope you had fun with Sam's class!
Jan, fun read! That is so fun you were a camp counselor in Alaska; quite the experience in sounds like. I worked at a diabetes camp in the California sequoias; we slept under the stars and probaby was one of the most special things I had a chance to do.
Hope Sam's class had fun painting under your watchful, creative eye!
you have had some interesting jobs!!!
Post a Comment