Sunday, February 15, 2009

Bells Palsy: The Post.

I decided this morning to do the "Bells Palsy Post" that has been in my head for awhile.
It fits in with the gritty theme- I guess I am not done with that yet.

It is gritty because Bells Palsy is not traumatic, painful (not usually) or life threatening. But for someone like me who ended up with permanent effects from it, it changes the way you look forever, and can really shake up your self image. It is not pretty or fun. It is not storybook life.

First the facts: Not a lot is known about Bells Palsy. It affects the 7th cranial nerve which runs down past the ear to control the facial muscles. It is thought that swelling pinches off the nerve to create the paralysis of the facial muscles controlled by that nerve. They think it is a virus that causes this swelling- possibly the chicken pox virus or the herpes zoster virus. 90% of people affected by Bells Palsy experience a full recovery. I have also read that pregnant women seem more succeptible, possibly because of the excess fluid already present in the body.

I was one of the 10% who's paralysis did not go away.

I was due for Sadie, my first baby, back on New Year's Day 2001 when I woke up with Bells Palsy. I remember waking up and telling Ron I can't smile. I knew something was really wrong when I tried to eat cereal and the milk just ran out of the corner of my mouth. At that point I had never heard of Bells Palsy. I called my mom for advice- luckily my sister was there and she had just recently heard of somebody else who had gotten Bells Palsy, so she was able to assure me that it wasn't fatal. I did go to the emergency room and eye doctor, who prescribed ointment to keep my eye from drying out. At this point I could not shut my right eye and I could not drink from a glass with out liquid dribbling out of the side of my mouth. It was difficult to eat. I taped my eye shut at night, as it wouldn't stay shut on its own. I had a severe case of Bells Palsy.

10 days later I birthed my first child in a long, difficult delivery. She ended up spending a week in the NICU, so I ended up going there with my severely paralyzed face (on one side,) waddling around very sorely, carrying a hemmeroid donut and suffering from constipation. It was not the best time of my life.

My facial paralysis did improve but never fully recovered. I took prednisone to reduce swelling, I tried electrotherapy treatment, I saw a chiropractor and I tried to nutritionally support healing of the nerves.

To make this long story shorter, this is what I am left with:
(disclaimer: I took these pictures of myself this morning- I have not combed my hair or changed out of my pajama's yet.)

I have gotten used to my face this way. Once in awhile though, it catches me by surprise, particularily when I see a photo of myself that really shows it off. My smile is what bothers me most. It doesn't come out like I feel inside. I feel like it doesn't truly express what I want it to. When people take pictures of me I try not to smile and instead just try to look pleasant, without lifting the corner(s) of my mouth too much. I have practiced this in the mirror. It is hard though to not bust out a big smile when someone is taking a picture!
I catch that little kids staring at my face occasionally- I think they are trying to figure out what is different about it.

The best thought I can come up with about it now is that it makes me an original. It is part of who I am. Of course I know that there could be a lot worse illnesses and paralysis's to have- my own mother had polio at 18. I have often thought about her having to learn with to deal with the paralysis she has suffered with. But I still have to admit I have struggled at times with the change in my image. I am glad that I was already married when I got it. I did not have to go through the meeting and dating process with Bells Palsy.

We are all given our trials, and we can not choose what they will be. Trials keep us humble. And for this I am not sorry, nor should you be sorry for me. I thank God for giving me trials and blessings both.

19 comments:

Sharyn said...

You are beautiful, Jan - inside and out. Thank you for the post. While I know of several people with Bells Palsy (the recurring type) I don't know much about Bells Palsy. Thank you for sharing!

Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing this. You are beautiful just the way you are.

Anonymous said...

Very neat post. It's interesting to read what you feel about it, as I don't notice the paralysis when I see/talk to you. I guess i assume since I don't notice it, you don't either. That doesn't make much sense, but I'm glad you have the attitude that you do. A trial is a trial and we all have them.

ethiopifinn said...

I've been waiting for this. Thank you. Your open writing and expression did bring a few tears for me. I don't think I feel sorry for you, but I definitely have some emotion attached to your Bells Palsy. I think our friendship was on pause during that time until now...I think the tears are for a) amazement at the wonderful attitude you have, b) the straight forward nature of your written word, c) the purity of a child in their interpretation of their world (and beautiful Mommy), d) sadness over not knowing more about someone whom I have always enjoyed and admired. And happy tears of a sustaining Faith. Enough about me. What do you think about me? lol. Grittilicious post.

Amy L said...

Wow, thanks Jan. I also agree with you that we all carry our trials, and some are more visible than others. You are a pretty and very talented lady. I do not personally know you, but we are connected, and I enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing you pictures with your story - now sometime when I see you I can come over and say hello.

Jan said...

hey Jan
I also think that you are beautiful, and I also do not see the effects of your bells palsy , I just see who you are, beautiful.
Ron

Anna said...

I like this post-the honesty of it. I like your attitude. I like that you've been blogging about the grittys and nastys of life, because after all, how could we enjoy the good,sweet parts or become who we are without these trials to mold us?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan
I was born with a slight case of cerebral palsy, which hasn't had a huge effect on my life - there are some physical things that are more difficult for me to do. I think I've come to terms with it by basically not letting it determine who I am, or what I do. I appreciate your straight forward talk. It's not easy to do this! I usually just don't talk about myself. I've known your mom and dad all my life, and both of them have been an inspiration to me. Thanks for being you! (This topic finally made me come out of the woodwork!)
Patti I.

Anonymous said...

Jan, I agree with everyone, you're beautiful inside and out and this is such a heartfelt post. I'm glad you shared it with us! It's a subtle thing to the rest of us, as I don't even notice it when I talk to you. I can't imagine what that was like to wake up and have it, but you have an awesome attitude about it all!

MindiJo said...

Wow. That must have been something to adjust to! I never would have known if you hadn't pointed it out in that picture. I'm glad that you've come to terms with it and it does not change you as a person.

Cheryl couldn't have said it better.

Thank you for this post, I have been waiting for it. I find it very interesting. And am glad that you explained it.

BTW: Sweet comment from your husband.

Pete/Heidi said...

Hello Jan~ Very well written post! Thanks for sharing... It is so true that each of us deals with our own set of trials, and it certainly makes us unique. I admire your honesty and positivity in this post! Heidi

Jill - A Farmer's Wife said...

To tell you the truth, Jan, I never noticed it. While I can't relate to your situation because I haven't had Bell's Palsy I have had trials of my own to work through. It's uplifting to read how you feel that this trial has also been a blessing especially since I had a bit of a blue day today. Thank you for sharing your story and for showing us that there is a silver lining to each dark day. (You also have a gem of a husband...)

Anonymous said...

It seems like everyone has pretty much said everything that I think.

I'm a firm believer that your inner self shines right through to the outside.. If your inside is good, so is the appearance that you give off.. I'm sure that it's easier said than done sometimes but it's no less true.
Thanks for sharing parts of yourself with us. :)

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing! True beauty comes from the inside, and this beautiful post proves that.

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love that you diagrammed your face. *that* is you. not your face. or your body. your actions.
~ann b.

Aleena said...

Very nice post. I think everyone has said it all.

Anonymous said...

Jan, I first visited you as an adult that time Patti I. had ladies over when I was in town. (You were early on in your pergnancy with the twins.)I did notice your Bells Palsy. I wasn't sure what it was and wondered for a second if you were born with poor muscle on one side of your face. BUT after visiting with you for about five minutes, your personality and warmth completely overpowered the Bells Palsly and I ceased to notice it. I applaud your attitude and for posting this informative post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this posting, it was both revealing and informative. What struck me was, Why don't I notice it? Perhaps, I thought, I still see you as the young woman I saw more frequently in the past...but, that's not it. I'm an "eyes" person, that's where I focus, and, in your case, search for the mischievous twinkle that is often there and gives me a measure of your well-being.
Love, CAM

Elizabeth Halt said...

I love that you diagrammed it, though I have a hard time seeing what the diagram describes. Very interesting and informative! And I can see a twinkle in your eyes in the second photo. :)