One of the best parts of getting a piano is that now my eldest daughter has started taking piano lessons. She had her first last week. (So don't criticize her form yet.) She is excited and so am I. (And that is Lilah's little hand on the far end.)Her piano teacher is on board with my feelings that I want to encourage her to play by ear as well as learning to read music. This was not at all encouraged when I was taking lessons. However, after reading this book (Note by Note: A Celebration of the Piano Lesson) I got this notion that playing by ear would be a really good thing too. I highly recommend this book if you have ever taken piano lessons or are a piano teacher.
Does anyone have any opinions out there about learning to play piano by ear in addition to reading music? Give me your commentary.
2 comments:
my four daughters all took piano lessons but the one who started playing by ear at the age of four still has that love of music in her. music, especilly our hymns, are such a comfort throughout our lives, so to be able to hear them in the home as well, is the best medicine for sure.
learning how to play piano is a good lesson to learn in life. From experience, I learned better playing piano by ear than any other way. (I'm still not good at it, although I don't have a piano to practice on) I would like to get one some day. Keep up the good work, Sadie! Good for you!!
Post a Comment