This is my purse/bag. I bought it at the thrift store; it had some buttons and other doodads sewn on it. I removed them and stitched this flower on instead. The felt is from my felted sweaters I have been collecting. I really enjoyed the embroidery part of it. As I mentioned yesterday, I went and volunteered in Sam's class. They were painting self portraits. I gave a little introductory lesson on the board, showing them how a face is proportioned (eyes are half way between the bottom of chin and the top of the head, etc.) and then the students proceeded to draw and then paint their portraits. It was a lot of fun. I realized that I wouldn't mind teaching more art to kids. I also found that my project night experience and assisted living activity experiences have improved my "logistics" of doing art with a group of children. Logistics such as breaking the project down into smaller steps and figuring out how to not have 20+ kindergarteners running around the classroom with loaded brushes. The classroom teacher was good at this too, and there to assist me with all this. It went so well that the teacher in the next Kindergarten room asked me to come back and help her with the project in her classroom too! (I popped in there and said hi to that class, as I know most of the students. When I asked them if I should come in and do an art project with them, my nephew Eddie rolled his eyes. Anyone who knows Eddie can picture this...I had to laugh.)
I will be going back to work on another project with Sam's class, too. The teacher is going to send me a list of units they are going to be covering, and I will develop an idea into a project to tie in with a topic they are learning about. I am thinking about coming up with a big group sculptural project that we can display for Fine Arts Night. More stuff for me to chew on!
6 comments:
How fun! I bet the kids loved it, and I love the bag!
fab, jan!
you're finding your niche, eh?
~ann b.
sounds like a great way to share your talents with the world. :)
Love your applique! And the teaching thing sounds like a fun venture. I have yet to volunteer in Buddy's class...I did once but they didn't need me.
Love the purse. I am sure my daughter will enjoy it if you go in Eddie's class! You are so talented!
Kristine
Sounds like fun! I love what you did with the bag.
Post a Comment