Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Calf chores.

(I realize they are very dirty. Need more straw, and the nature of shit in the winter. It freezes.)

When Ron works day shift, it is up to me to do the chores. I go out and feed and water the steers (they are not little calves anymore) and the chickens. I also pick the eggs and feed the cat that lives in the garage. (Mouse control.) Recently, when Ron is home, I have been bargaining to go out and do chores anyways.


I have realized lately that I really enjoy these chores. The kids are old enough now that I don't have to worry so much about what they are doing in the house while I am outside, and if I dress warm enough, I don't even get cold.

This morning Big Red, the steer, was out of the fence. I tried to lure him back in with a feed bucket, but he was skeptical. I ended up ignoring him. After a few jumpy laps around the yard, he bucked and bounced his way back through the gate I left open for him. I think he wanted his part of the feed his partner was gobbling up.

I enjoy this. Fresh air. Physical activity. Out of the house. Livestock.
Maybe as my kids grow older, this will be my stay at home career: raising livestock.

2 comments:

Jill - A Farmer's Wife said...

Guess Big Red learned some tricks before you brought him over there. Lanny has some fence to fix today because the heifers got out for the second time in three days. Glad it didn't take much for you to get him back in his pen.

Mari said...

I think when I grow up I will join the Air Force. They had cheesecake in the dining facility every day at one of the bases where my firstborn was training.