Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The dress.



Here is the dress which Sadie labored over for the past few weeks, which I have instructed her on and ripped more than a few stitches out of. The judge seemed impressed with it today when she had it judged. Having a project judged is such a learning tool. 4-H judging is conference style judging, where the 4-Her meets individually with the judge. The judge asked Sadie questions such as "what was the most challenging part of sewing this dress?" and "what is this stitching here called?" or "Why did you finish the seams like this?"

Sadie also participated in Fashion Revue. For that, she put the garment on with her accessories and walked and stood in front of another judge, who asked questions like "how does this fit into your wardrobe?" and "why did you choose to sew a dress?" They are judged on poise, posture, fit of the clothing, how the accessories look with the outfit and other such things. Another mom said in past years the judge has even looked at their nails to check if they are clean.

For Sadie's first project and first "real" sewing, I think it turned out well! This mom learned a lot too.

6 comments:

Carol said...

Her dress looks like a winner for sure -- love the fabric!

Yvonne said...

lovely! i love hearing about 4-H - what a great program for kids.

Julie said...

Wow. She did a great job! (Now I'm off to clean my nails.) :)

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Cute, Sadie!

Katelyn said...

Hey Jan! Looks great! Bringing back memories of when we were in 4-H! Hope I can do fun projects with my kiddos some day...

MindiJo said...

Great job on the dress, Sadie! I am very impressed. I have yet to make myself one and I am a little bit older than Sadie.