Tuesday, June 7, 2011

One more animal.

Photo by Ted.

Yes, a duckling. Sadie found this little cutie out in the yard early one morning. She rescued it as it was going to be pounced on by a cat. I told her we should name it AFLAC. She didn't get the humor of that one. We put it in a paint roller pan and it would swim around.

Unfortunately the little thing wanted desperately to get out.

The second night it got a little chilly in the house and it didn't make it. I would prefer to say it died of loneliness. I poked my head into Sadie's room that morning to tell her and her reply was "oh, good!" She was getting a bit tired of caring for it and she knew it was lonely too. So her and her cousin Kailee had a quick funeral and buried it.

Life and death. We learn about that a lot around here. This one was so quick, I didn't even get a chance to take photos of it with my new camera.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor duckie! they're so cute.
~ann b.

Julie said...

Poor little duck. Isn't that the way with country life? Kids seem to accept the life cycle more readily. It's healthy. :)

Anonymous said...

Love that they had a funeral. I buried all kinds of animals our dog killed when I was little....chipmunks, rabbits, squirrels...and each was dignified with a burial service and a grave marker with flowers. ;)

Becca

PS Any plans to head this way anytime soon or to the UP around St John's?