...instead of shopping on Black Friday, you stay home to cut combs and wattles off your chickens.
True story. The darn leghorns have refused to go in the coop at night since last spring. Last night Ron and I finally captured them and put them in the coop, but in the meantime they have frostbitten combs and wattles. Which are now thawing and becoming swollen and fluid-filled. Which could become infected and affect their health and egg-laying abilities.
I will cut them off. The neighbor man was going to the local co-op, and offered to pick up some Blood Stop- an antiseptic powder- to help stop the bleeding and prevent further infection.
Gross, I know. But someone has to do it. And then I can brag about it on my blog : )
eta: I started. Got one comb cut off and it bled all over- spurting. I guess some do that. Basically, I killed the chicken. Shucks. Not sure what I will do with the rest.
2 comments:
You are a brave little bumkin.
ugh. are they worth it?!
Post a Comment