Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Season of Lists.

I am skipping Thanksgiving and rolling right on to Christmas. Not literally, just here on my blog. I just don't have much to say about the food-filled day that's coming up next week.

But Christmas, now there is a lot to say about that. Let's start with LISTS. Everyone makes lists, physically or mentally during the holidays, don't they? Who they are going to send cards to, who they are not going to send cards to, gift lists, etc.

I am going to reveal some of our lists. First off, I sat down with a clipboard last week and quizzed my kids on what activities, traditions and such are most important to them- what ones they want to do this year. Here is the list:

  1. Draw names and make gifts. We did this last year. Apparently it was a success. Ron and I are not included in the drawing, as we get to help with all the gifts (and the ideas for them.)
  2. Make tree ornaments. We have done this every year.
  3. Get a Christmas tree. We have never not done that.
  4. Decorate cookies. Ted kept saying gingerbread cookies, but I realized he meant frosted cut out sugar cookies.
  5. Send Christmas cards. I am limiting the amount to 45 this year.
  6. Concerts and programs.
  7. Christmas Eve at the neighbors. I was surprised how emphatic they were about this one. They didn't even mention Christmas Day and the celebration with all the cousins. It is a quiet affair over at the neighbors, but apparently it is what we do.
  8. Decorate doll house for Christmas. (Sadie.) Her and Ron have to finish building it first (!)
  9. Visit Santa on Santa Day in W.L.

This is the list. Not too bad. I wanted to know what was important to the kids and focus on those activities. Make Christmas manageable.

Next up- Sadie's Christmas list to Santa. It is pretty humorous.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

What a good idea to make the list of whats important for the kids! I might just have to do the same thing. The whole season is just to busy to be enjoyable in this neighborhood.