I abstained from running for close to two weeks. The first week to try recuperate my knee, the second because I was on vacation and just didn't get to it.
I went for a run early this week. It didn't go so well, and it wasn't helped by my cold. I can still feel my knee, and it really twinges when I do a deep knee bend or other certain moves. Two weeks can certainly take a toll on running. So much that I even thought- why did I ever think I liked running in the first place?
So, I am going to hang up the half marathon dream for this fall. Sadly. At least I increased my longest distance I have ever run to 7 miles!
I am going to focus on losing some pounds- that certainly would help my knees. I am planning to continue exercising- walking, some running, and whatever else I can motivate myself to do.
I finally got the copy of "Born to Run" that I requested at the library- and am learning more about barefoot running. The more I read, the better it sounds. Yesterday I went for a walk in my bare feet. It felt good! I think it adds another sensory inlet/outlet for the body- all the better to appreciate nature with. Watch out, I may start shedding more...well, hopefully just pounds.
So now I feel a bit dumb about all my gung-ho-ness about running this half marathon. At the time I was fired up to do it. It is part of my personality- I get fired up and then deal with the details later. Sometimes the details don't work so well.
Maybe I will be ready in the spring, but I am not committing to that yet!
5 comments:
don't be too hard on yourself Jan - such is life. we go with what works at the time and make adjustments as needed.
Nothing to feel dumb about. I got all gung-ho about running, and the furthest I made it was 2 miles. Once. I can't even do a 5k!!! Running just isn't for me. I'll walk and walk and walk, and I'll bike, but no thanks to running.
Yvonne is smart.
running 7 miles is fantastic. keep it all in perspective, missy, you are doing quite well, imho.
Seven miles is a lot more than most people can claim! You should be proud of yourself for accomplishing that. No need to feel dumb- things like that happen to the best of us. All the time.
Way to go on the 7 miles! It does feel really good to be able to do that, esp. when the in the past ya couldn't do it! I joined a running club this spring and had the idea of a half or a whole marathon, but like you, I had a two week break and I was done for! I'm sure you don't regret the running... I don't! P.S. Maybe we will have to go for a run during cabin weekend or something!
Post a Comment