Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Today. Sam is 8.

Today the kids have been swarming around me like flies on a fresh cow pie. Buzzing, droning and whining.

Since it is Sam's eighth birthday, I made a white cake from scratch, with 7-minute frosting on top. That's seven minutes of beating over a double boiler, plus more beating afterward. Tastes like marshmallow cream. He wanted white cake with white frosting. I didn't have any mixes, so I figured my aunt makes a really yummy white cake from scratch- I'd try that. The batter tasted good at least.

Last year Sam got Little Debbie Zebra Cakes for his birthday cake. Honestly, the cake from scratch probably isn't worth the work, though Sam got to help and hopefully he'll remember the quality time with his crabby mom years from now.

Ron and I are going out to eat with Sam and one friend, and then will hit the neighbors with the cake and candles and Sam's siblings. I have been giving the kids the choice between that and a party with friends. Sam also got his lunch on the birthday plate- a plate I received from my friend Shirley a few years ago that has a birthday design on it. It is a fun, easy tradition to pull it out on each birthday. Ted already decided he wanted a party with friends.

What do you do to celebrate your (kid's or adults) birthdays? Any fun traditions?

4 comments:

Aleena said...

Nothing specific yet. I like the birthday plate idea!

ethiopifinn said...

"quality time with his crabby mom"...ha! our kids can bond over this similar experience.

Anna said...

Elsa and Oliver have started a tradition of arguing over whose birthday/how old they are gonna be for months before hand... it's a tradition that's great fun. (and I'm not kidding. This argument will NOT go away. It's quite ridiculous for a 4 and 2 year old.)

Yvonne said...

um, sometimes they got to choose their flavor cake/pie. also, one BIG birthday bash with friends. i love birthday parties for kids--once a year deals.