Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Christmas wish.

One of "my" residents at my fun job had one Christmas wish: to go to the concert of a choir he used to belong to.

Last Christmas he sang with these people in this choir. Between then and now he lost his sight due to diabetes, was put on oxygen, and is a resident of an adult foster care (assisted living) home.

I was happy to help him get his wish. I like choral music myself, and what is the Christmas season without at least one concert? It made me feel good that I could do this for him. I picked him up yesterday and we went to the concert.

Some of the people he used to sing with said hi, but I have a feeling that most of them didn't know what to say to him. Maybe it hit too close to home- how fast life can change.

I give him lots of credit for going even though it was ripe with potential for pain- facing the fact that he is not the same as he was a year ago. In my books he had courage.

Life is bittersweet like that, isn't it?

3 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

Wow. I don't even know what to say, because I am having my own kind of moment over here.
I think it is beautiful to be true to yourself, even if your body is forsaking you!
What fun to help another brand of artist enjoy his medium.
Thanks for sharing your perspective, Lady :)

Yvonne said...

and the sweet part of that bitter is that we are never alone in our trials. his sweetness was you that day. how very kind.

Sue said...

You are a beautiful person for making that man's wish come true.