Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cold.

Twenty below zero this morning.

Last night we realized our furnace was running on only one element instead of four- three blew yesterday. I dressed the kids in two layers and tucked them in their beds with plenty of covers.

This morning it is 48 degrees upstairs, 58 degrees downstairs. I am thinking about the pioneers who lived in homes this cool all winter, waking up with snow on their quilts. 58 is not really that bad.

Stay warm!

3 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

oh man! that is chilly, but you can always throw on a scarf and another sweater.
i have a long jersey scarf that i wear alomost everyday...i think i might need a second at 58 degs, tho!
good day to bake or slow roast and do some hula in the livingroom!

Anna said...

I was just yesterday remembering the days of being a poor college student (as opposed to poor married lady..?) in Duluth-we kept the thermostat at 55 degrees. Brrrr. We survived with layers and blankets, but now that sounds pretty chilly.

Jill - A Farmer's Wife said...

Reminds me of my first few months of marriage. We lived in that drafty old trailer and the thermostat wasn't set above 50 unless we had company. We had heat in the bedroom only. As Anna said, Lanny and I survived with layers and blankets. Now I am spoiled with my woodstove. Still, we wake up to a 58 degree house most mornings of late so I don't take my woodstove for granted.