This year my kids drew names between the five of them. They did this last year and bought gifts for each other from garage sales and thrift stores. This year I decided that they should make their gifts for each other.
We didn't get going on this too early. Other projects have been in the way. I have had some ideas in my head of what they could make for a couple of weeks, and I have been gathering supplies that we needed; this week my kids began "Christmas vacation" from schoolwork, so we are working on the gifts.
The kids need varying amounts of help. The twins' gifts have been done without any assistance from them. But they are homemade. The kids are so excited to make gifts for each other, and there has been suspense when they can't go in certain rooms where I am working with their sibling.
My goal is to instill the beauty of giving in my kids. I hope they can learn how much fun it is to think about someone and what they need or like, and then give them something special. I also hope it will be a lesson in receiving, and being a gracious receiver-as these will not be glossy, popular store-bought gifts they may dream about getting.
One gift left to finish. And then on to the next projects...centerpieces for Friday, gift wrapping, etc... I plan to share some photos of the gifts after they've been opened : )
No comments:
Post a Comment