
This is the setting for our annual family get-together known as "the Point." It is a beautiful piece of land covered with maples and surrounded by lake on three sides. My siblings and I grew up playing here as soon as we were old enough to wander out in the cow pastures on our own. When we got older we spent many a night out here with our friends. Most of all though, we spent our childhoods gazing at this land and the lake from the kitchen table every day- it was our gauge on the seasons, the weather and the local wildlife.

Every year we have a soup instead of a theme. Some examples are chili, potato and kielbasa and minestrone- we each make our own version and it gets mixed up together. This year it was "Stone Soup." Each family (each mom- lets be realistic) makes up a batch of the soup and brings it out- it all gets dumped into a kettle that simmers on the fire all day. Soup for lunch, leftover soup for supper. Everyone comes and goes and there is soup to eat. It always tastes good out in the cool fall weather.

The kettle is still on after nightfall. (I heard some girls were snacking on soup when they came back after the kyds hayride.) And yes, there was a stone in the pot.

Here is the granddad and grandmom who caused all this. We all appreciate the place where they raised us, the values they taught us and the family they created. We gather round the warmth, not of the fire, but of this family.
12 comments:
How special Jan! It actually gave me goose bumps. I think that's what life is all about. Family and traditions of enjoying our blessings! Emily H.
Neat tradition! Sounds like fun!
great tradition.
I love the Stone Soup story - the story and that you guys used it for your soup this year.
You have such an awesome family! I bet it was fun!
Wonderful spot. Sweet family and tradition!
What a great post! And I love the family tradition. That's really neat. Good clincher, too!
Nice pictures Jan, I wish we could have made it.
tell Ron I'll see him in a couple of days!
AJP
Oh my goodness Jan... what your story does for a homesick heart!! Enjoy the season... I think this is one of my favorite back home... the leaves, the harvesting... all the thrills of home..
Hi to you and your family.. this has been fun to read!
Liz Pietila
What a great tradition!
Love this post...
Great place, great pictures..I can almost smell the soup and smoky air.
CAM
What a heartwarming story! Beautiful place.
Post a Comment