Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A new toy.

We are the proud owners of an old piano. I responded to an "ad" on freecycle- it turned out to be a classmate of mine from college. So Ron and some guys went and loaded it up and hauled it home. Yay! I am enjoying plunking on it.

Dawn kindly sent a box of piano books and sheet music with, so I have been going through it, trying to play what I can. The piano is old, but it sounds decent, and I am glad I don't have to be worried about the kids wrecking it. If I want a nice new piano I will get it when the kids are grown.

So what at what age should kids take piano lessons? Any opinions?

7 comments:

MindiJo said...

Music is supposed to be so good for kids. I've heard such mixed messages about this. Some say start when they are young to help develop their brains and some say don't make them do it until they want to. I guess it depends on what kind of mothering style you have. I have an idea of what kind of style you have...

Anonymous said...

i had them in k, 1st and 2nd. my nephew started in 3rd. so....my advice is do what you want.
~ann b.

Cheryl said...

I've heard that when they are school age is a good time to start.

Elizabeth Halt said...

The 3 oldest in our family (that includes me) all hated piano lessons and quit as soon as we could :) I think we started in middle school maybe?

Anonymous said...

if the kids are interested (this is a must if you don't want to nag) they can start as young as 5. that's my own opinion! it's harder to teach the younger ones who have short attention spans than the older ones who have some music education from school.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! I've always wanted an old piano (even though I have no idea how to play).

Anonymous said...

I have an 8 and 10 year old that just started this year and they are zooming right along. But I'd bet they could start younger...our teacher gives little kids shorter lessons. I started lessons when I was 4 and that was too young. ~marne