Thursday, January 6, 2011

On your marks, set, go!

I am doing my research here in front of my Sunbox, and then I plan to get on my treadmill and start walking. I got my coffee on board, will swig some water.

The first section is 6.3 miles. (Lake County 301 to Castle Danger) Here is the description and map from shta.org:

This hike allows you to literally to leave civilization behind, as the trail runs from rolling valleys up to rocky, pine studded ridge lines. The Encampment River is a quietly scenic half-way point, while the stunted trees and expansive views to the east are reminiscent of a hike at timberline in the Rockies. Variety of terrain and forest combine with the proximity to towns to make this a good choice for a day hike.


Section

Here is a photo I found of the Encampment River Bridge, which apparently needed repairs. I guess the repairs have been since made.
http://www.t-one.net/~om/NCTblog/encampmentbridge02.jpg(my source.)

If you really want to get in the mood, play some nature sounds here. Currently I am listening to forest birds.

We're off! I have to go pull my treadmill from it's "we need room for Christmas" position. Meet me at Castle Danger!

ETA: 2.3 miles down! Less than a mile from Encampment River, 4 miles to Castle Danger. Maybe I will get in some more walking this evening.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

we should go there for real
~ann b.

Jan said...

Yes we should Ann! I'll be getting into shape and learning the trail in preparation for it-- you should join me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the motivation. Did 2 miles today.
Corinne

Anonymous said...

I'm coming....soon!
-Jess

Anonymous said...

jan, any interest in doing a 5k involving mud pits, hay bales and sand traps?
~ann b.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to do this too! It sounds like a fun way to motivate yourself to get moving. I did go a mile today, so if you are going to be keeping track, there you go. And I would be in for a 5k in the mud and hay and sand...
-Ruthann

Anonymous said...

Where is this 5k? You have me curious! I did 2.4 today -Jess

Anonymous said...

Ann- are you 'hiking'?

Amy Murray said...

I went 1.6 miles today. I was hoping to go further but my children decided differently! I am going to have do some catching up!