Monday, April 26, 2010

An end?

I am wondering if I have come to the end of blogging.

As we go through the seasonal activities of getting new bottle fed calves and baby chicks, I keep thinking that I have already shared this stuff, maybe even twice. The photos and the observations have been posted last year. There really isn't a significant change from last year to now. How much daily stuff are you really interested in?

Or if I change my direction, my tack (a sailing term, am I using it right?) I would probably just start a whole new blog. But the truth is that as my kids are getting a bit older I no longer need this escape as I once did, and I my goals of taking more pictures and getting my rusty brain to write (type) stuff once in awhile has been met. Maybe it's a "been there, done that" thing for me.

And, it seems like the blog world, at least the one that I mostly live in, has gotten just too nicey-nice. We have to be nice and say nice- or someone gets hurt feelings. What about honest commentary? Can we disagree? Don't get defensive because of my comments- who says my opinions are worth much, anyways?

So that is what I am mulling over. I'll let you know what I decide.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, shucks! And I was just catching up on some of your entries from awhile back. :) No really, don't make your blog feel like one more thing on a to-do list.

I was ready to throw in the towel with my own blog awhile back. Someone suggested I take a break and then only post when I felt like it and not worry about finding blog topics. So I did and now I can't shut-up! Had to remind myself it was *my* blog and not an entertainment forum for the public.

And the nicey-nicey thing... Everyone has different opinions and can learn from each other and you're right- we don't have to agree. I've had a hard time lately because it seems like some of the punches have been a little brutal (at least in my feed) and instead of a good old debate, people are closer to a full-on virtual fistfight which gets awkward. The Internet is a hard format for that because things can easily be misinterpreted and personal attacks happen that wouldn't in everyday life. It is great though, that people can put their two cents in on different things and I *don't* think it should stop us from talking about issues that are important to us. But yes- that's just my opinion. :)

ethiopifinn said...

bulllllshit.

Julie said...

Haha! Jenny can say things in one word that it takes others three paragraphs to do. Love that.

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

NO!!! Ok .... you do what you want, and do it for YOU, nobody else. But when I read you blog, it's a sense of honesty. Plus, I love getting a dose of life in "the hills" . . . but it's not about me.

Anonymous said...

i would have to say that if you arent happy doing a blog anymore, then maybe its not your 'cup of tea' anymore. who is worried about what other people think? i don't! if they dont like my blog and dont like what i write, then they dont need to read my blog.. I write what I think and whats going on with my life and i put it how i see it! but thats my opinion!! hope you decide to stay in the blogging world- I enjoy reading your blog (if my opinion counts??!!) :) you will decide what is best for you!!

Yvonne said...

"nicey-nice"/ "meany-mean"...we all choose Jan. Myself? I fight to look at the positive, life is too short. I don't thrive on controversy or "hot topics". Yes, i have my own thoughts on issues and i do discuss them with some people, but not in a public forum. You could always go "private" and pick and choose who you want to view your site.
I enjoy your photos as well as your drawings Jan. Good luck deciding.

Anonymous said...

Even tho I see you quite often I still enjoy reading your blog, I find it refreshing and down-to-earth. I think I know what you mean by "nicey-nice"...we shouldn't have to always sugar-coat everything, sometimes life is difficult and that is reality. We shouldn't have to put on a perfect face... The only perfection is heaven! You could take a break & see if you miss blogging...Sis L.

MindiJo said...

I completely understand where you are coming from. It's your choice whether or not you continue on with your blog. That being said, Dang! Would I miss it. I find it completely refreshing. I mean, seriously, how many other people have blogged about cow patties? I get the nicey-nicey thing. That's true. I fight with it myself. Sometimes I want to stir the pot just to do it. But I chicken out.

BTW: heading that way in about a month. Coffee this time? I really want to know you IRL.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jan -

I'm not going to be nice. I don't care what you think, you should keep writing your blog because I enjoy reading it.

Heh.

Anyway, I have an ulterior motive for posting as well. Do you have Helen's email? Nat has an article for the Tightwad RR.

My email is BradSalmen@live.com

Brad

Mari said...

You do just what pleases you, Jan. I am finding that blogging is not high on my priority list, either, not when the weather is nice and the sun is shining.