Friday, February 5, 2010

Musical notation.

Sometimes I think my children are so clever. I am their mom, you know.

Yesterday I heard Sadie practicing piano. Then the tune changed- she started singing the notes along with her repetitive notes up and down the keyboard. I was painting the bathroom (that doorway there in the photo) so I poked my head around the corner to see what she was doing. I found she had composed her own concerto, and had even written in down, although not in traditional musical notation. You can see her music on that clipboard below.
When I went back to my painting, I heard her playing her piece back to herself- she had recorded herself with her digital camera. She was then clapping and snapping out the rhythm along with her digital camera. Isn't it intriguing? What was going on in her head?

This morning Sam and I went out in the woods on snow shoes. I forgot how fun it is to snowshoe. If you want to make sure you are going to exercise in the morning, tell your kid you are going to take them. They won't let you get out of it.

We ducked through a thick stand of balsams. I let Sam break the trail and decide where to go. We discovered lots of evidence of deer- sleeping spots, poo, and nibbled trunks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure she was a concert pianist in her head! Of course it was beautiful. We used to record ourselves singing all the time...

Anonymous said...

Tell her to save it- I want a performance! :)

Jess

Mari said...

Clever girl! Bravo!

Yvonne said...

great pictures Jan!