This morning my plan of attack was to amuse the 2 yr. olds with beading onto pipe cleaners. About 5 minutes into it, as all the other kids wanted to do it too, I realized- AHA! these would be good manipulative's for math today. (You can note Lilah's glasses in this photo, and her dirty shirt too if you want.)
I had a library book about counting that I was planning to read to the boys today anyways- so we read that and then we used these beads and pipe cleaners to count, to group and add, and to work out some simple multiplication problems. The kids enjoyed it. (I got both at a garage sale some time ago.)I just wish these good ideas would come to me a little sooner, like even the night before...
I feel like I am mostly sailing by the seat of my pants on this home school stuff, some days it works better, some not so much. I will be getting more books (curriculum) around the 20th- then planning should ease up a bit. I am also learning about how to keep them interested. They definitely learn more when they are interested (duh!)
3 comments:
i love hearing the bits about the home schooling. i can imagine how the day would go for older kids, but this age seems like it would be a lot more intensive. you have a creative perspective and i look forward to reading all about it.
plus, isn't that what all two year old kid shirts look like?
Well, planned or not: brilliant. You have a natural knack for this, it sounds like.
I've mentioned it to Nora so I'll mention it to you, too. If you need/want help with English/Reading/Language Comprehension, just let me know. (I've kind of wanted to dust off my college degree for a while.) Or learning how to play flute. I could try to help with learning how to play a clarinet, too, but since I am only on page seven of my beginning clarinet book, I don't know how well that would work out. :)
Post a Comment