Okay, okay- I promise you- it is not really all that weird. Just do the research. I don't retain statistics that well, but I think in the state of MN around 20,000 children are homeschooled annually. That's one huge school district!
At this point, my goal is to home school for one year. We'll see how it goes and what we decide to do after that. Originally, I started thinking about it because I didn't like how our elementary school was setting up the kindergarten classes- mixing every day and every-other-day students together. I came to the realization that as a parent, I have options. I don't have to accept the school's plan as the only plan available- I can choose what I think is best for my child. I started to research home schooling, and was really intrigued with what I was finding.
I decided I would teach Ted at home. In MN, kindergarten is not mandatory anyway, so I could send him right into first grade. All summer I toyed with the idea of teaching them all at home. Earlier this month I concluded that I would give it a try. I am excited to work with my kids and to come up with projects and meaningful assignments for them. Once I started thinking in terms of home schooling, I realized the opportunities for teaching and learning are everywhere. All their questions become "mini lessons"- in the garden, in the car and around the dinner table. Here is an example: the other day I had Sadie read a storybook to the other kids on our way to town. She practiced reading aloud, I listened to/evaluated her fluency and the others got to hear a good story.
The most popular question of home schoolers is "what about socialization?" Here is a quote from the Minnesota Homeschooler Alliance website:
Finally, test the socialization idea with plain old common sense. If the goal of socialization is to learn to interact appropriately with other members of society - people of all ages - would you really expect 30 kids of the same age in a room with one adult to become socially adept? Is it realistic to expect children to learn appropriate “adult world” conduct from their same-age peers?My children have not suffered a lack of socialization during the summer when school is not in session. I do and will make a point to let them have friends over and take them to social and church functions where they interact with other kids. Ron and I both enjoy people and visiting, so I have no fear that we will be living in a little bubble at home.
Yes, I will be busy. It will require patience. My house will look "lived in." But I cannot pass up the opportunity to learn with my children as we embark on this unique and interesting experience. I attended summer camp in my youth and I have been a camp counselor too. I love/loved camp. I am looking at this as being a "nine month" camp for my kids- lots of hands- on learning outside a classroom. Complete with latrine duty and camp songs!
7 comments:
Good luck with all that. It's not something I would do. Although, I admit some parts would be fun. Let us know how it goes.
if you want to do it, do it. you don't need to justify to us, or anyone. make your choices as your family unit sees fit.
have fun!
~ann b.
your kids are at the perfect age where you will be so involved with the whole process. and as you now know, there is a wealth of information out there. good for you jan!
When I was at Nora's she told me that you and her were going to do this! I am jealous I have to say. I would love to but my husband doesn't want to, I am working full time and going back to school myself. So I am putting it on the back burner for now- hopefully someday I can do this! Enjoy!
I had to come back and recomment. Because I didn't want you to think I was trying to say you shouldn't do it. I wasn't. I just meant that I'm not sure if I could do it myself. As in, I wouldn't be the right person for the job. But I wish you lots of luck with this. Do what you want, they are your kids after all. Don't let anyone else's opinions weigh too much in your decisions.
Judging by the neat things you already do with/for your kids you'll be a wonderful teacher! Good luck!
I agree with Ann, 100%. (Not unusual, though.) :)
Jan, I have no doubt that your kids will learn a ton this year.
Angie
Post a Comment