Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Uphill.


This photo harkens to the name of my blog: we do indeed live among hills.
The kids and I took a walk yesterday across the neighbor's field. At the top of the hill we surveyed the scene and then laid down in the stubble to soak up some sun and feel the wind.

Figuratively, I am struggling with this uphill challenge of weight loss. After losing 30 lbs., I have been on a plateau for the last 6 months, just bobbling up and down on the same 5 lbs. I have now been a WW member for 1 year. I am trying to decide whether to keep on going to the meetings and try to inspire myself to work harder and get to be a Lifetime member, or to quit, enjoy where I am and not worry about it any more. I am pretty happy with where I am weight-wise, but health wise I know it would be better to lose more weight. I have about 14 lbs. to get to my WW goal (the top end.) The good side of this is that I have maintained my 30 lb. loss for 6 months. I do believe in the theory that the slower the loss, the less likely you will be to gain it back.

But the question is whether to keep going (and paying!) to WW meetings. I don't want to be a quitter, but I keep wondering if it's okay to just be happy with where I am and leave it at that? Any lifetime members out there want to weigh in? (punny, I know.) Is it worth the "lifetime" status?

2 comments:

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Jan,
Congrats on your 6 mos of wt maint. You've accomplished what many people would only hope to!

How do the WW meetings make you feel? I know it does help to have long-term encouragement and support, but only you can truly know. Good luck with your decision. Your cheerleader, Jen

:)

MindiJo said...

Wow. Thirty pounds is a lot of weight! And to keep it off. That's the biggest struggle for many people.

My sister Tara is losing weight like crazy. She does something on the website www.livestrong.com. You track what you eat and your physical activity and it tells you how much weight you should be losing. She loves it. And is very successful so far.

I love the start of this post. You seem like a great mom.