Monday, January 26, 2009

Barn lost.

Last evening my cousin, Karen, lost her barn to a fire. Right where the cloud of steam and smoke is in the above picture, there used to be a big red barn. Fortunately she did not lose any cows. Her animals were all transported to her brother's farm for now.

Ron and I were in the local cafe for lunch, and we saw some weary firefighters come in. They had been out there all night and back today to check on the smouldering mess. I took this picture around noon today.

11 comments:

Pete/Heidi said...

My condolences to Karen (H? - right)? That must be a big loss--especially in the dead of winter. Thank goodness for family!

Cheryl said...

I think those firemen were probably still half froze as well, when we got home from the fire at about 3am, it was -30! Those poor men!Their equipment was even frozen!

Elizabeth Halt said...

Oh wow. I'm sorry about the barn. But I'm glad the cows were safe.

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

What a bummer! Wow things can change quickly.

Anonymous said...

Heard the news...such a bummer, especially at this time of year. I was glad to hear the animals were safe!

Becca said...

Thank goodness no one was injured or worse, cows included, but what a loss and especially in the cold!

MindiJo said...

Ugh. I'm happy to hear the cows were safe.

Anonymous said...

How devastating! What a huge loss, but at least the cows and people were okay. I'm thinking of replacement costs on a barn and they are astronomical. Ouch. -marne

Anonymous said...

horrible. as someone else said, thank goodness for family! (and, hopefully, insurance?) if anyone does a collection, let us know!
~ann b.

Anna said...

Ahh! First I heard. Shoot, that's really the pits.

Anonymous said...

Thamks for posting that picture. I'm kinda stuck down here is Cow-town, but was dying to see some pictures of it. When something like this happens, it's so hard to be living away from family. I'm not sure I'd be able to do a whole lot for her (big bellies are kind of a hinderance sometimes) but hey, I could hand her Mountain Dew on a regular basis! :)