Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Inspiring people.

I have been going to water aerobics classes now for a couple of weeks. It got cold to run (I am being wimpy) so this is a substitute, plus I enjoy the class environment of being told what to do and having others to do it with.

But back to my story. I am the youngest in the class except in the evening session. By far. Bobbi, the instructor is 61, and has been teaching water aerobics for 30 years! And she teaches precision spinning class before coming to water aerobics. She's been doing that for 7 years. Needless to say, she is in shape. She is a good instructor and inspiring to me- I hope to be in shape at 60! (and able.)

Also occasionally at class is Dennis. Also retired. He had twins followed by triplets. (He claims you never recover from multiples.) He also does the spinning class before water aerobics. Yesterday we were chatting, and he told me he lost 80 lbs. in the last year. His weight loss plan? Exercise and cutting calories. Lots of fruit and vegetables. He walked 30 miles a week during the summer. Wow.

How can I not be inspired by these people who are doing what it takes to get and keep their bodies healthy? I have been on a plateau for the last month or so with the weight loss (stuck around 30-32 lbs. lost. Pounds lost that I am very proud of!) I think part of the reason is that I have not been running. And I have been a bit lazy about counting points. The good thing is that I have been maintaining without much effort and I have been gaining good core strength and toning the upper body with the water aerobics. So I visit with and watch these inspirational people and try not to get impatient with the weight loss.

One more inspiring lady- 99 years old with a twinkle in her eye and a smile on her face. She has a positive attitude and a spring to her step, despite her age and a stroke. She has life.

That is what I strive for.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Halt said...

that is inspiring. as are you. :)

Yvonne said...

Wow, 30#! Congratulations and if you can maintain during the holidays that is awesome. Good for you.

MindiJo said...

Sometimes when you hit a plateau with weight loss or adding muscle mass, you need to either change your plan or even more effective: take a week off of exercising. It works! Good luck! Sounds like you are doing great.

Anonymous said...

Jan, you're inspiring. Way to go!! That is so awesome. You'll find a way to overcome the plateau.