Thursday, August 28, 2008
He's six. (alternative shopping)
This actually is a post about thriftiness.
I buy gifts at garage sales. That may seem really tacky, but my kids get better gifts this way. For Sam's birthday this month, I bought these 2-way radios last April. I'm thinking I paid $5 for them. Some hunting-type guy was selling them- I suppose everyone uses cell phones now. They are great for a 6-year old, though. They are good quality, have a 2-mile range, and Sam loves them. I get disgusted at buying new toys- in the price range I shop, the toys are not that durable and most have some TV or movie theme that my kids have no appreciation for.
So call me tacky- but my kids don't mind (at least not yet?) and I have some good stuff lined up for Christmas-that I also bought last April. The other advantage of "alternative shopping" is that it makes me a lot more creative and open-minded about what would make an exciting gift, too.
So try it- go ahead, I won't think less of you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I do this too. Wendy got a huge doll house one year complete with all the furnishings for under $25.
the tricky part for me tho is to actually find time to garage sale without them in tow. Or to figure out how to sneak things into the van if they are with me - it's not easy! LOL
I do the same. Only, this year, I haven't been out as much and I'm starting to worry about Christmas closing in. Or, at least, the garage sale season coming to a close in a month or so!
I only started last year, but I've made a commitment to buy as little 'new' stuff as possible.
looks like they're enjoying the gifts!
If it's tacky, I'm tacky with you!:) All of my kids gifts (except one) and most of my hubbys have come from g. sales. I figure if they're gonna love the toy, they're gonna love it; regardless if it came from a sale or a store.
I found out a few years ago that my favorite christmas gift ever was from a garage sale. I never thought to do this myself, thanks for the idea. Kids will never know the difference, or care! You can probably find some at goodwill, too. Love your tacky idea.
I think it's totally not tacky... kids don't care.
I do some garage sale gifts and some store bought and the kids never know the difference ( except that it takes 2 hours to get the darn toys out of the package if they're from the store!) I'm loving reading your blog and the good thrifty tips!
Post a Comment