This is a bit of repeat from Facebook, but this photo bears repeating:
Milo was intently studying a couple of worms he dug from a composting bin.
The kids and I learned about vermicomposting last Saturday morning. It was a gorgeous day to be at a greenhouse, surrounded by plants and flowers.
I told the kids several times that if Dad wants to shop for a Mother's Day present for me, bring him there. Not only for the plants, but all the other wonderful they had in their store, too. Like accessories for a fairy garden. And cool wind chimes. And more. Pretty much, I'd be happy with anything from there. Forest and Floral in PR, if you local readers are wondering.
Back to the worms: we built composting bins, then added compost material and worms. We now have two bins in our utility room. Hopefully, the worms are happily munching away in there. If not, we'll have stinky dead worms soon. The kids had a really good time, and Christine, the instructor, was an awesome teacher.
Have I mentioned I love 4-H?
In other news, it's a busy couple of weeks here. Last week I went to Cloquet, MN for my last leadership session. Very useful information on meeting facilitation was presented. It was a good trip. I "graduate" from the program in May. It has been a good experience for me.
This week we have spring concerts- last night Mr. Schmidt, whose elementary Christmas programs are famous across the area, held his last concert. He has been teaching for 35 years. At the same school. The gym teacher, Mr. White, is also retiring. Legends in this town, but time moves on.
I am heading to St. Paul for a couple of nights this week. It will be an information-filled session, I will come home with my head swimming, I am sure.
Then, Ted and I will go to a photography class at Itasca on Saturday. Again, a 4-H event.
And dog training has started. Ted is joining us this year. We've had a tough time convincing Ron that Ted NEEDS a dog to train. We've been experimenting with borrowing a dog, but have had some mishaps with that- like a little dog in a pink sweater who kept yapping and nipping Ted. Ted was very calm about it, it was so cute! It just didn't work. And a dog that didn't show up (his owner forgot.) This helped us convince Ron that Ted needs a dog. We haven't got one yet, but we're working on it.
Happy Spring, folks, I am loving it!

1 comment:
We've had worms in the basement for a couple years now. There was an issue with stinky dead worms right away but since then it's been smooth sailing with some great castings for the garden. What a cool thing to do for 4H tho!
And a fairy garden would be fun, wouldn't it?....I've considered starting one with the girls.
Post a Comment