I have been thinking about gratitude lately- it is an important part of positive psychology- and that I should start making a weekly gratitude list here. I guess this is my start:
#1. I am thankful that I have the opportunity to vote. No matter who wins the election, whether for president or school board, I got my voice counted. On top of that, I have had the opportunity to be a part of making sure elections are properly executed, and that every vote does truly count.
#2. Lately I had occasion to be thankful for living so far from anywhere. Often I wish I lived closer to the places I go, but a couple of nights ago, Sadie and I were coming home in the dark van, and it was a great opportunity to talk. I was impressed with the sort of questions she was asking me, and the discourse we were able to have. It was along the lines of her asking me if being a reporter is less exciting than what I thought it would be before I started. I thought this was quite a question for a sixth grader- that she would even think outside herself at that age.
When the kids were younger I used to say I need the half hour in the car to calm down and get composed after working to get all the kids ready and in the car.
Now, I am thankful for the opportunity to turn off the radio and have time and a captive audience- both ways, for me and them, to talk with my kids, and to have family conversations. This I get by living some distance from the places I go.
2 comments:
Veddy good, m'dear.
~ann b.
i love observation #2!
Post a Comment