Last night we went to the first dog training session of the year.
It is amazing a year has gone by since Sadie started training Jasper, though it is evident by how much calmer and obedient he is on the leash. Sadie figured the first day was way easier than the first day last year, but I reminded her it was easier when she knew what to do, and Jasper knew what to do.
It was fun to see all the familiar dogs and their handlers again.
Last night I joined in, handling a dog for a 4-Her who brings and shows three different dogs. It was a fun way to get exercise and experience dog training for myself.
It is more challenging than it looks. We spent over two hours controlling a dog and leading it through commands, plus listening to instructions and refreshing our memories on how it works. For a fifth grader, let alone an adult, it takes patience and persistence to keep at it, but again, I was reminded how much Sadie learned- about dogs, but also about persevering to reach a goal and about poise.
In a few weeks, Sadie will start working to train Jasper in Agility- going through a course of jumps, tunnels, etc. as team while being timed. Sadie is excited to start this.
I wish I would have taken a photo of Freckles, a basset hound I led, and Jake, a terrier...they were adorable, but it was dark out when we got done with training. For a last burst of exercise, I chased down Jake after he got away from his owner. He was a block or so away. I had to coax him to me, and then I carried him back to his owner.
What fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment