I was reminded of these thoughts after looking at Sharyn's blog post:
The other day at my fun job with the Oldies, I was listening and visiting with the ladies and one of them commented how grandchildren help keep her mind together...unfortunately, her grandchildren live far away and aren't really children anymore. And now she is feeling like her mind is falling apart. (In her words, "her marbles are all mixed up.")
But I thought about how important it is for the elderly to have the youth around. It keeps them fresher, it seems, it gives them a reason to light up their faces and smile. I witness this at my fun job, as my niece who works there brings her baby with to work, and he chases more smiles out of the residents than anyone else!
I don't know if I have mentioned this before here, but one of my future goals is to train a therapy dog that I can bring around to visit with children, elderly and other people who could use some lovin' with a dog.
I mentioned this to the vet when I brought Jasper in, and I could tell this struck a chord with him. He said the thing about dogs is that they don't care if your clothes match or you are drooling, and if you can put your hand out, the dog can even move his head back and forth to get petted. How true. And I would love to help facilitate it.
So, go out and visit your grandma or grandpa. If you don't have one, there are plenty around to adopt!
5 comments:
5/21 2.4 miles -Jess
how long is this trail?
5/22 2.2 miles (251.8) -Jess
5/23 2.3 miles -jess
I've been thinking about finding a grandparent to adopt. I thought about it when I wanted to learn to knit, but then I taught myself. There are a few elderly people that I run into on walks so I talk to them often, which is always enjoyable.
Amen. Glad you brought it up!
Post a Comment