Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Recent works: Recovering from a funk.

These are some photos of my recent works on paper.
Yes, I threw them out the window.
But first I ripped them into little pieces. And them tossed them out my open studio window. It was cathartic. I guess.

I have been in a funk- dealing with some personal issues and my monthly cycle stuff thrown in the mix. I needed to unload some anger, so I threw my paintings out the window. The cats enjoyed pouncing on the pieces fluttering down.

I think I am recovering now.

10 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

there was a season when my words were spread all over town. i'd throw them in the garbage at the gas station. letters, pages from my journal. i'd have gotten it out, and destroyed the evidence. once it was gone, i couldn't pour over those thouhts and dwell.
no going back, only forward.

Anonymous said...

There is something so cleansing about tearing something up, huh? I like to burn them then, and stare at the hypnotizing fire...
I went 1.3 miles today. -Ruthann

Yvonne said...

and it didn't hurt a soul!
mark me down for 4 BIG miles for today and a grand total of 44!

Julie said...

It's good to unleash some frustration. Sorry you've been going through a rough patch. (Hug)

It's kind of pretty- all the pieces. Artwork in itself.

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Wow, Jan--glad for your catharsis. sad for the works of art though. Ugh, sorry for the funk--those are no.fun.

Anonymous said...

in a book i read two people had a horrendous fight. one had "betrayed" the other. the one who was hurt collected plates and vases and stuff, and she promptly smashed every one to bits. only, being someone who grew up in the Depression she didn't want to waste them so she glued them all as a huge collage on the walls of her home. it became an odd testament both to the hurt and the healing that went with it.
~ann b.

MindiJo said...

I hope you feel better. Really, truly. And thanks for your comment on my blog. It meant a lot. I wish I was really good at saying the right things to people at the right time. But I'm not.

I *hate* funks.

Ann- that's a really interesting story. Really beautiful, actually. I like that.

Anonymous said...

2/9 2.6 miles (76.4) -Jess

Jan said...

Ann- funny you say that. I have collected a bunch of the pieces and put them in a brown paper bag. I probably will do some sort of collage with them eventually.

Thank you Mindi. I am so glad you share what you are going through.

Jill - A Farmer's Wife said...

When I'm in a funk, I chop wood. It's amazing how much energy is used up trying to split a hunk of wood into kindling. Then I can get that urge to 'break' something out of my system while actually accomplishing something. It's great exercise too, so there's another side benefit.