I have a few theories and stories (please remember these are just my opinions):
- "TV" toys (toys related to TV programs) are junk. My kids don't like them anyways, as they don't watch TV. (That said, my boys are getting Batman gloves in their stocking as they were only 50 cents on halloween clearance. They have a bit of "Wow" factor- see next bullet.)
- Each kid should get something with that has the "Wow" factor. In other words, it has bling, makes noise, or something equally as exciting. Mostly these toys are junk, too, but it curbs the yen kids have for the stuff. I just don't spend a lot on that stuff.
- I want to get the kids something that is worth having around here for awhile- and it is durable enough to last.
- Open ended toys are best- things that have lots of function and lots of possibilities. One really good example is duplos. Another is this wooden scooter Ron built for the kids for Christmas about three years ago- it's like the ones we used to use in elementary gym class. It has been used and used, it still works, and they use it for many different imaginary events. It was not that exciting under the Christmas tree, not much Wow, but probably one of the few toys we still have from that year.
- Last year Sadie wanted "Pinky Pie" a pony that sang, etc. She did not get one. A bit of me felt guilty, but I knew it would not be worth the money. After Christmas she told me she didn't care that she didn't get Pinky Pie, because it would have gotten boring anyways. The year before she wanted a Doodle Bear. After Christmas she used some Christmas and birthday money to buy it. Afterwards she found it wasn't as fun as she had expected, and later she saw it on clearance and even more later at garage sales. We laugh about the doodle bear now.
- My niece gave me a good idea this morning. She said her boys love electrical tape. I think my boys will get some in their stocking- each a different color so they know it's theirs. Can you imagine the great stuff they will be able to build with electrical tape?
- One more little thought. My mom, who is in her seventies, was reading in the Minneapolis paper about the opening of a American Girl Doll store. She told me "can you believe those dolls are a hundred dollars? When we were little girls, we had so much fun playing with corn cob dolls (a corn cob wrapped in a handkerchief.) We used to play for hours with them."

8 comments:
One toy that has gotten a lot of use at our house is a kids tape player. Leah listens to her stories on tapes for hours at a time, and every single one is from a garage sale. Hers finally gto wrecked, and I hope I can find a new one for her for Christmas. I don't know if you can even buy the books on tape new anymore. Another nice thing, I don't think I have ever found tapes with Dora, Sesame street etc, they are all the classics that I remember as a child.
My kids are too little to give any suggestions, just my thoughts. As the baby of my family, I received many gifts in childhood Christmases. I don't remember any of the toys I played with wtih the exception of these three: pretty in pink barbie, little people garage, a baby doll that my brother jimmy drew a mustache on with permanent black marker. One year I counted every bit of my loot and there were 63 items. That is why we want to give our kids 2 gifts each. Its very hard to choose! They get other gifts from family, so there is still variety and fun, but I just hope we can stick to this plan when they are old enough to beg for the latest and greatest!
Every year, my kids get a new pair of pj's for Christmas. Every year. I also try to think of things that my kids will enjoy that are not toys. Some kind of arts and crafts, books, jewelery for the girls. Toys get old. And thrown away. That's the best thing about arts and crafts: they use them up and then they are gone. And they are usually cheap. They always get undies and socks, too. And they are happy about it. For now, anyways.
How about disposable cameras? If you find a good deal on them, they could be used for the imagination/creativity part of your plan. Or if your boys are like my carpenter son, a hammer/nails and screw driver are the answer every time.
Keep your gift ideas coming, I find them interesting and useful!:)
Did anyone guess that it was my boys who love electrical tape?! I don't often comment on blogs but I had to for this one. I, too, have been on an anti-toy kick. The kids like stuff to make their own toys/fun. They want staplers and more tape for christmas. Oh, and they have gotten socks and other practical things for Christmas every year and even asked Santa for them. This year though, Nolan wants an *electric* toothbrush in his stocking instead of a *manual* one. These are the things my kids expect for Christmas. I think it's kind of refreshing! Jess
Jan, this is a great post. I, too, am looking into other options. When it comes toys, I definitely prefer the 'classics'.
I think our kids will get some new Duplos to add to their collection this year. They play with theirs for hours at a time! I just wish I knew where I could find more of the cars that come in the sets. (I never saw any garage sailing this year.)
Last year, our kids got a lot of arts and crafts stuff. I plan to do the same this year along with some puzzles. I prefer to steer away from anything that makes 'noise' and is 'motorized'. Not always, but as much as I can. I feel they better use their own imaginations when they are working with more 'plain', timeless toys.
One of my friends has made dress up 'costumes' for her kids, in the past. Wish I felt like being that creative! Keep the ideas coming. :)
I found a definate stocking stuffer today as I watched Leah play with her Dads tape measure for 45 minutes today, she was measuring little pieces of plywood. She definately needs her own. Jess, I knew right away who wanted the tape!
This post is great! Ever since I read it I have been watching Grant a little closer to see what creative ways he uses things.
The other night I went into the living room where he was playing and guess what I found....his skidsteer parked in a 'shed' made of clothes pins! Yes, clothes pins. I was impressed! And now I realize I need to buy some more for laundry, can't hinder the kids imagination now can we? :)
Post a Comment