Friday, November 21, 2008

Oiling up the rust.

Yesterday I went back to work at the assisted-living type home that I used to work at before the twins were born. I do activities with the residents one afternoon a week. It is a great job- I go there, dance around the halls, sing loudly, chuckle, play games, make conversation and do some projects. (If you have been reading this blog for awhile, you know I operate on "projects.")

Yesterday I tried to play piano for them, but while they were game listeners, I was pretty bad. I don't play well in front, behind, or around people. I can't relax. Anyways, they were game, and tried to hum along when they could pick out the tune from my notes. I figured after that they shouldn't be shy to do activities they are not "good" at- I will remind them of my piano-playing!

One of the best moments of the afternoon was when my good friend, who is 98, said "I don't know why you bother with me" and I told her it's because she is so cute. (and I do think she is.) She giggled and giggled. And then said, "well, I don't really like what I see when I look in the mirror anymore." She likes to be stubborn- she wouldn't hardly leave her room when I started working there before, but I persisted, and pretty soon she was looking forward to the days I came there. She is feeling old and rusty again, but I will get her oiled up soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're a blessing of a worker there, i'm sure---you don't give up either!!
~ann b.

Elizabeth Halt said...

I'm sure they appreciate you and your visits immensely!

ethiopifinn said...

I was expecting to see something mechanical, or road worky. What fun for you and the residents. Weird to be 98...all the changes in the world around you, and in you. My mom never feels like her reflection matches the woman INside her skin.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like such a rewarding job!

I sometimes think it'd be fun to 'visit', but I get too shy about it. (Even I get shy sometimes, if I don't know people...!)

MindiJo said...

That's wonderful. I believe that our senior citizens could teach us many things. So many times they just get "forgotten". We need to appreciate them at what they have to say and contribute while they are still around.

Sounds like you are a true blessing in their life, good for you.

Anna said...

I just ran into one of the 'old duffers' I used to see when I was working as a home health aide. He was one of my favorite visits-between him and his buddy who visited like clock work, it was often entertaining...and educational! Made me smile and chuckle when he asked where I was-and 'why do all the good ones go and be nurses???' :)
Anna

Yvonne said...

Oh, I do love your post titles Jan.