Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Hugs.
Like Hannah, I think we all need to take a moment to give ourselves and those around us a hug or a few. It seems like, after talking to people and reading some blogs, that there are a lot of us feeling a little unsure of what the future may hold for this country. Hugs are good. Hold on to those near and dear. It feels good. (And if there is no one around to hug, give yourself a hug. Like we did when we were kids- stand in the corner and wrap your arms around yourself, and rub your sides trying to make the view from the back look like you are making out with someone...hah-you all tried it back then, didn't you?)
That just brought up a memory about hugs. When I was a 4-Her, back in the day, we had a county leader, Connie, who always talked about "everyone needs their hug for the day." Long after my little brother and I would refer to "your hug for the day" and use it as an excuse to give each other a hug. (For example, say in a falsey voice- "oh, Timmy, have you had your hug for the day? Let me give you a hug..." squeezy squeezy...in only a way that teenage siblings can. Trying to be funny but meaning it.) Connie was a great 4-H leader, always enthusiastic and chuckling, and handing out hugs for the day. Unfortunately, she moved away after a few years. She probably doesn't realize how her legend lived on for us, and that here I am thinking of her twenty years later.
eta: Note the little red rocker. It was mine when I was a young girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
what a sweet photo!
Post a Comment