
Yesterday evening, shortly after dark, Ron heard a noise outside and went out to investigate. To his great surprise, he found an owl in the coop, along with a beheaded chicken. (Is it a great horned owl? not sure.) These pictures do not do it justice for size. Notice the size of the chicken in the nest behind the owl. Ron was worrying about great photography at the moment- more concerned with his own safety. Ron said he went after the owl with a broomstick, and it would not leave. He had to physically push it out of the coop. After I got home, I went out with a flashlight to find our frightened flock. The chickens were scattered all over- so far we have 11 back in the coop. Not sure what I will find when I go out today.
6 comments:
oh, poor chickens.
We are pretty sure an owl grabbed the neighbor's sweet little kitty. Since Atlas loved her, I cannot feel too kindly towards them at the moment. :( I do, however, love to hear their whoo-whooot echoing through the trees when I am outside in the wee hours of the morning.
I saw one of those in a tree behind our house two mornings ago...it looked like a cat's silhoutte it was that big. Your poor chickens!
That is a big scary owl. poor chicken head.
The litte devil!
I love owls and have yet to see one. If you haven't, check out the book "Owl Moon"; a great little story to read to the kids! It's about a dad and child going "owling" behind their home on a winter evening.
that is so cool! i mean, not that it ate your hens, but the owl....awesome. i remember going owling with my mom and dad in detroit. i was only 5 or 6 but i still remember it very clearly.
i hope you find all your chickens. you don't want to suffer a loss of too many.
it's funny how we're all commenting "poor chickens" . i mean, some or all get butchered, right?
~ann b.
Bummer about the chicken... I hope the rest were fine. That looks like a big owl!
I saw a really big white one last winter in our backyard. It was really cool to see!
Post a Comment