On Saturday Ron and I took the kids to the Western Minnesota Steam Thresher's Reunion. (a.k.a. "
Rollag") I had never been before, and I was surprised and delighted at how much I enjoyed it. There are a lot of tractors, of course, but also acres of other "stuff." Like a real steam engine train that you can ride around the whole place, an old time "main street" and a farm. And an operating sawmill, blacksmith shop, printing presses, a steam-operated
carousel, a fashion show of historical attire and much more.

Als0, kids get in free, so you can bring a crop of them without breaking the bank. Everything inside is free, such as the train and carousel rides, and the food is cheap.

All the people running this thing are volunteers, just sharing their passions. The WMSTR is a non-profit organization. All the food stands are run by area churches.

I really like that there is all this stuff going on even though it potentially "dangerous"- Lots of traffic; horses, tractors, steam engines, old vehicles and golf carts, and lots of fires (to create steam) but it all goes well, and there are kids helping and learning along with the adults. What fun!
6 comments:
Hey! I went to Rollag once. Completely forgot about it till you mentioned it. Huh. Just thought you should know, for some reason.
The horse photo is great. Looks hot and noisy.
glad you posted about rollag.. i liked going there.
Nice pictures Jan! I sure love going to Rollag! I'll have to bring Lynda there some time.
AJP
We've talked about going to Rollag over the years too. Is it always Labor Day weekend? Looks like a great family time! ~marne
Marne- it is always the same weekend- I heard next year the theme is "pioneers." I think your family would enjoy it!
Post a Comment