Monday, September 22, 2008

Here in the hills...

It was a beautiful fall weekend. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera out to capture it.

Before I was a mom, and early in my mom days, I thought about all the enriching places and activities I would see and do with my kids. I did not realize that sometimes the best enrichment for my kids would be staying home.

Saturday I decided that we had such a busy week, it was time to stay home. It took until about mid-afternoon before my school kids settled in and quit saying they wanted to go somewhere, they were bored, squabbling, etc. And then they really started to play and enjoy being at home. They really needed that down time to relax and let loose, I could tell by the end of the day that it was really good for them.

On Sunday, after Sunday school, the kids played with cousins and Julie and I took a leisurely bike ride. Today Ted will probably ask me how many days until Sunday so he can go to school again. It is such a blessing when they love to go to Sunday School.

Now for another week:

  • I hope to get our garden prepared for next spring. I am going to try "big" gardening next year. Or at least "bigger" gardening. The plan is to fence in an area and get more serious about it. I would like to get raspberry plants, too.
  • The local hospital hosts an event where you can get a blood panel done very reasonably- they test your cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. I think I am going to get it done. I would like to know where my cholesterol sits.
  • The deck needs to be stained.
  • I am going to continue weeding out stuff around here. It is a slowwwww process, but I keep at it. Does anyone else feel like they are drowning in clothes?

That's it for now. Have a good week.

5 comments:

ethiopifinn said...

Jan! I am seriously overwhelmed by clothes--mine and the kids. I haven't had to buy much for them yet, thankfully people have been so generous, but they have too many options for such little people, and I am too attatched to the cuteness to pass any along--yet. I keep thinking we will hopefully have more kids, and what if this shade of blue/pink suits the new baby better than is does Theo/Suvi. Lots of clothes means lots of laundry.
My mom met a woman who only had 3 outfits each for her children. One in the drawer, one in the wash, and one on the kid. Simple solution, economical, space saver. But just like the girls who can't cut their hair because its too much a part of their self concept, I love the clothes!!!

Cheryl said...

This weekend was gorgeous! Sunday I was very tempted to take a drive to the "hills"- it was a perfect day for it, but my books kept staring at me so I figured maybe I should be studying instead of romping through the hills. Would've been way more fun!

Elizabeth Halt said...

sounds like a good weekend!

I have too many clothes, for sure, but it is the one "weeding out" project that I have not gotten to. I am rather fond of them all ..

Anonymous said...

We are so drowning in clothes... With the 4 girls right in a row but not quite close enough where I can just leave them out for the next one to fit into... blech- I get cranky even thinking of the mess I have in their bedrooms... I guess that's another thing that isn't a help- we have all of the girls clothes in one room/closet. On the other hand, we have no issues with Pete's clothes... I pass them on to the cousins...

Anonymous said...

Your hills were beautiful last weekend! My little family took a drive out there. We were going to support the rescue squad, but Grant got sick before we made it that far so we took a drive instead. How was your run on Tuesday? I was a little jealous...