Friday, August 29, 2014

Photo dreams, confused.



Lately I have been having dreams, wisps of dreams, or at least that's how they seem during daytime hours, of taking pictures. 
Taking shots of people, weddings, scenery with people…but I press the shutter button and it won't work. I press it down anyways, though it doesn't click and I can't hear the mirrors moving, hoping it is capturing the moment anyways. 
In some dreams, I see the images, some of them turn out, but I am sort of disappointed and frustrated. 

I am not sure why I am having these dreams. From the surface, I would say it's because I have been leaving my camera home lately, and I just went through my files, deleting a lot of loser pictures. For taking lots of photos, not so many turn out. Really, none are exceptional. 

On a deeper level, I wonder if I feel like moments are slipping by, and I can't hold on to them. My kids are at great ages right now and I have so much fun being a mom. I try to savor it and appreciate this time, but time does keep chugging on and the kids keep growing. 

Or is there more to it? Am not getting my creative urges met? Do I need to buy a new camera? 
Please, if you claim any expertise in dream analysis, give me your take on it. 



I found this photo on Ted's camera, Sadie took it. I had to smile at her homemade miniature music stand- I think that may be a paintbrush in some sort of stand, with a cardboard top and a hunk of music. Just sized for her 18 inch doll. 


1 comment:

Elizabeth Halt said...

I realize this is many months late, but I love dream analysis, and thought I'd share my favorite + most-used method. It comes via Martha Beck, who probably got it from Jung / psycho-analysis. The basic idea is that everything in the dream represents an aspect of your own self.

You take each symbol in the dream and ask three questions and answer them, not as yourself, but as the symbol.

a) Three adjectives/descriptors that describe you.
b) What is your purpose?
c) How are you trying to help me? / What would you like me to know?

Basically, go with what enters your head.

It is generally fascinating. Though lengthy, if you do indeed analyze every symbol.

In yours, you might use: camera, shutter button, images.

(For example, I had a lot of dreams in which Atlas was in a car on a hot day and I couldn't get out to get him. Cars generally represented some box I was putting myself in. Atlas generally represented my passion or my essential self, can't remember which in this moment.)