Thursday, May 16, 2013

A boy and his dog.



After attempting to "borrow" a dog for Ted to train, we finally adopted one. This is Scooter. 
So far he had adapted well to our family, and to Ted. Jasper is still working on the acceptance piece of getting used to not being an only dog. 
Yep, Scooter has one brown eye and one blue eye. I am not sure what breed Ted will be showing him as. In 4-H, kids are allowed to show mixed breed dogs, but must pick a breed to show them as, for showmanship. They have to know about the breed they are showing- the history, traits, etc.  


Ted will be training Scooter for 4-H. Ted has a soft heart for animals, and I am anxious to see what kind of a bond Ted and Scooter develop- if Ted sticks with it. 
That was Ron's hesitation about getting another dog- that Ted would quit, and we'd have two dogs. Though if that happened, Sadie could take over with training Scooter. 

I realized last week that I have never had two dogs- growing up, we only had one dog at a time. 
So for me, it's kind of weird to refer to the "dogs". I bought them new dishes, color coded- I felt like I am really turning into a dog softie when I did that. 

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

sounds like that would be a good thing - a "dog softie".
great photo of boy and dog.

Anonymous said...

I wish Darrel would let us get two dogs.....but that ain't gonna happen! We'll just have to come visit your dogs. Although, if we did, Sonja may not want to leave.
~ann b.

Jill - A Farmer's Wife said...

I managed to keep one of Mindy's last pups (and I do mean 'last'...we finally got her fixed so no more puppies) and so far, Bandit's only fault is that he has a shoe fetish. My kids shoes, in particular, seem to be his favorites. Our dogs don't get pampered or primped by any means and they certainly don't have color coded dog bowls. However, I will admit to buying that royal purple leash expressly for Mindy because she looks so good in jewel tones...:) I guess you could say I'm a dog softie, too.