Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Scenario.

To continue with my previous question, here is the scenario that provoked it.
I was covering a choir rehearsal of a community choir that my father and sisters used to sing in. One of the members recognized me, but identified me as my sister. I corrected her, and so she confirmed in her mind who I was, asking, "you're an artist, aren't you?"

During a split-second pause in my head, I wondered how I should answer. It is not the first time this has come up.

There are so many variables. Yes, I do have a college degree in Visual Art, with an emphasis in painting and drawing. I don't regularly paint and draw anymore, though.

I am working as a Media Consultant. Graphic design is a big part of that role. Does that count for "being an artist"?

I write. But mostly as a reporter. I see it as a form of creative expression, at least my columns are. But it is not "visual", which is what most folks think of when they say "artist". I am not even sure I can call myself a writer, since I am more of a reporter. It sort of seems like a writer should be published somewhere else than in a newspaper. But I have had artwork published within the past three years. So what does that mean?
Furthermore, what constitutes a journalist? I am not sure.

I like to think I live an artistic life. Again, what is that?

And really, what do people have in mind when they use the term "artist"? What do you think an "artist' is? Describe an artist to me, in your terms.

I have struggled with this notion since I graduated from college. Before that I was an "art student". That was easy to define.
In my mind, an artist is someone who supports themselves mostly on income from their art. I mostly don't support myself financially, my husband does, though I contribute.

But in the end, I told the woman "yes." I am an artist. It was an easier answer. Then I added, "I write too."



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems a bit to me that you are getting bogged down in semantics and quibbling a bit over definition. To me, art is more a feeling, a creative task that is enlightening. I think many years ago you and I had a discussion over something similar, where I claimed that writing a novel was art, but you were of the opinion that painting/drawing was the more traditional viewpoint in art. (do you recall that?) Do you feel you need to be "successful" at it to be an artist? than what of the phrase "an artists soul", used to describe certain people who may not make a living by art, or even create it themselves, but are devout patrons of the themes of art? I also consider beautiful music to be art....though many would argue they are instead "musicians not artists". Isn't to be a master of your craft, whichever it is, a sort of artistry? Maybe you were looking for a one word answer and I dissolved into philosophy (itself an art, if you go by the headings under "language and arts" in a college handbook,yes?) but I find this a fascinating topic.
~ann b.

Anonymous said...

And then, what is it to be successful at art anyway? to earn money, to be famous, to at the very least be recognized? Or is it enough to find joy in what you do? perhaps that is all any of us can strive for.
~ann b.
(comment #2)

ethiopifinn said...

If someone asked me if you are an artist, I would say, "Yes." You put things -words, colors, faux fireplace(s), textures- you create. It is a way of thinking, a style, a method to living life. I would also say, "Jan got mad skillz!"

I see the bigger question. People say of me, "She's funny," or, "she's a singer." Yet I don't feel like either of these are true. I feel that I am an emotional reactor. Sometimes that is funny, and sometimes there is music behind me. I don't consider myself an artist, although often creating--by sewing, drawing, cutting and gluing, writing, baking...

As an aside, I am so proud of and happy for you regarding this path you have been pursuing. I like to see this 'whole person' view of you. Not just an art student, a bride, a mom, a writer/reporter. I get this sort of excited feeling when I read about your professional endeavors; like, "Hooray! My smart friend gets to use her brain!" I let my fear stop me, so I enjoy celebrating you!

ethiopifinn said...

shoot. trying to have a little party for Theo and respond makes for segmented thinking.

i wanted to say you put things TOGETHER.

And that I feel compelled to create at times, baking, sewing...satisfy that need.

Gram said...

Certainly you gave us food for thought. Artist is a word that comes out of someone else's mouth so much easier. Your humility holds you back from voicing it about yourself. And that's OK.