I got stuck in traffic...
...that's my excuse for not being here lately.
Today I am playing catch with some photos I took yesterday. The local fire department invited me to there training burn to take photos.
This house was being used for a training burn because it was still sturdy and intact. The previous owners were Amish and had stripped out all the wiring and plumbing. It would not have been worth trying to replace all that, plus other upkeep it would have needed, so the new owners hired the department to burn it.
It was a fun opportunity to shoot an event- something different from weddings and other events usually covered by photographers.
So I am using these for as many catch up photo challenges as I can find, some cover two of them!
Hat.
Texture and black and white. The flames are a reflection from the house fire in a nearby shed window.
Doorway and orange. After doing many small fires inside, and having all the firefighters take turns learning and doing, they finally light the whole thing and let it go, then practice spraying from outside. This is called the "blitz".
Sky. Even though I did sky already. This smoke is "rolling". Firefighters can tell much about a fire inside a structure by watching the smoke. I suppose this could qualify for black and white too.
Trees. I solarized this photo for this effect.





6 comments:
wow. i'm speechless.
Wow! Nice catch up. Great shots of the fire, and nice use of them for the challenge. fun job you have there, jan!
~ann b.
You outdid yourself on this! What an amazing post.
great pics!! i know reid will enjoy them :)
oh man! the only thought going through my mind was... "what a waste of good wood!!" I DID think the shots were neat, though! hahaha
Vicky M
Amazing shots. It stirs up emotions about the horrors of a fire, even when you know it's not real.
Post a Comment