Friday, August 17, 2012

The Story.


This is what I wrote for the RM. I didn't do a long article, as it has been featured other years. I figured I would put my voice on it this year. What I found fascinating is how Howard took something so negative in his life and turned it into something to help heal others, as well as himself. 

"I got out of Vietnam in '68. I felt lost."
Howard Maninga is a Vietnam veteran who suffers from PTSD. 
He lost a lot of good friends in Vietnam. 
Howard said one morning he woke up, and the spirits of his lost comrades told him to build a memorial. 
Only a combat veteran could understand hearing these voices, he said. 
The project, building a memorial to Vietnam veterans and other veterans, was a process of healing for Howard. 
"It helped me. It calmed me down." said Howard. 
A deck, shaped like the bow of a ship, sits near the top of a tall hillside covered with oak trees. Instead of an ocean, "bow" looks out across the Ponsford Prairie, with the Smoky Hills bordering the far side.
In front of the deck are seven flag poles, one for each branch of service and the American flag; the POW/MIA flag flies at the center.
At the edge of the site is a bunker made of sandbags, with a window overlooking the prairie.
On this day, Sunday, August 12, veterans, friends, family and others gather at the site, some in uniform, others with t-shirts or hats signifying they were in the military. 
During a memorial program, the seven flags are lowered and replaced with new flags, and the old ones burned. 
Howard said that at many military programs, dignitaries do the honors. Here, he invites any veteran to participate.
With a trumpet playing the official song of each branch, soldiers salute the new flags flying high. 
The Star of the North Marine Corp League of Park Rapids performed a rifle salute.
This is the seventh year the memorial program has been held. 
Howard Maninga said he doesn't like crowds much, but he enjoys the crowd on this day because it is filled with soldiers and their families. 
Howard hopes his memorial will help others heal from unseen battle wounds. 




1 comment:

MindiJo said...

Wow. He is a beautiful person.