My career just took a big right turn it seems. And I think it is a good direction, as far as I can tell.
Almost two weeks ago I took a new job. I am now a reporter for a local newspaper. It started with a trial by fire- before I even met my editor I covered a city council meeting, which turned out to be a hot one. I wrote my article and submitted it before I even met my boss! It seems this job will be very self-directed. I will have certain meetings I will cover every month, my "beat"- plus I will do human-interest type stories, interviews, etc. which will be my ideas. I am on my own to go get the information and turn in articles.
I am able to do my writing at home and email the articles and photos in, which allows me to have a more flexible schedule. Also, I will now have a use for my new/used camera, and a much larger audience for my photographs! The writing is new to me- especially in newspaper format-so it is an new challenge!
Right now it feels like everything is in a flurry- I am leaving my cafe job, working at this new position plus busy with all the normal summer stuff. Saturday I spent the day covering a local town celebration. So it seems like I have had lots of stuff to post about, but too little time to do it.
My gardening has pretty much fallen by the wayside this summer!
11 comments:
awesome!! congratulations!!
Way to go! Have fun with it!
Congratulations! Have fun with this new job! :)
LADY! This is so exciting! I'm fired up for you, and to hear more about your reporting.
Congratulations! now this sounds like fun!!
Congrats! I liked journalism the least of my writing classes at uni...so I give you credit. News articles can be so tricky to write. :)
Jan,
Congrats on the new job...I know you will be awesome at it! I liked your article in the paper, especially the beginning (really 'hooked' me). This will be a fun and creative outlet for you.
Lindsey
That's awesome, Jan! Congratulations
Fun! I can't wait to read some of your stuff... you should post some on here :)
Thanks everyone! After my first column is printed, I will put a link to it on here.
Still so fired up for you! This just seems like "you!" Hope the Rebel gives you plenty of years of photos! (I am sure it will) We will need to go for a landscape photography "walk" again soon!---This week?
Post a Comment