Thursday, September 23, 2010

Food and sleep.

I feel like it is what I deal with all day long. Food. It is my main job- feeding my family.

The breakfast plan I wrote about earlier is really working. I don't need to figure out what to make each day, so I can just be prepared the night before. I try to make the batter, etc. beforehand. Yesterday afternoon I made muffins for this morning's breakfast.

I feel that now my kids are in public school, I am no longer in charge of their education, so I need to do what I can to support them in their work at school. Part of that is making sure they are well fed. They have been so hungry! I try to feed them hearty food that will stick with them throughout their day. I pack them lunches four day a week. They are allowed to choose one school lunch a week.

I seem to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Fixing food and cleaning up. (Sometimes I skip the cleanup until the next meal. It is the only way I get a chance to do something else, like read a magazine, ha ha.)

The other area I am trying to work on to support the kids in their school day is making sure they are getting plenty of sleep. It is hard to get them to bed early since it seems like they have so little time at home as it is, but they need their sleep. We have been shooting for 7 pm.

Ted is not a morning person, so he has a tough time getting up. This week, with an earlier bedtime, he is still cranky when he wakes up but at least he cheers up after he eats breakfast.

Sam has been singing Dixie, cracking jokes and practically dancing around in the a.m. with the early bedtime. Which of course, gets on everyone's nerves.

After they leave, I shut most of the lights back off and enjoy my coffee in my rocking chair. Catch up on the internet. It is like restarting my morning. Ahhh. Quiet. Mostly. Unless the twins are cranky.

New routines are good.

2 comments:

MindiJo said...

Wowzers!! You had a blogfest in my absence. I'm really happy to see that we benefit from your kids being back in public school. (More blog posts) Thanks for that.

I love the breakfast plan. I'm going to take inspiration from you and adapt my own. Thanks for that, too. Even tho my kids prolly have a shorter day than yours. First ones on the bus, first ones off. If I want to sleep in an extra hour, then I bring them to school. It's closer than 23 miles, thankfully.

Anonymous said...

Jan, you don't know how much the TEACHERS appreciate your efforts too!!!!! :). Fun seeing you this weekend!