Friday, September 10, 2010

Crossroads.

(Don't worry- this post has nothing to do with faith or religion, but I thought the photo and the title fit together. But the photo doesn't go with the actual post. I put this disclaimer here so you do not get alarmed.)

The kids are back in school. In the summer I felt like it was going to be a crossroads of sort- my kids would go off to school and I would suddenly have so much peace and quiet and time to pursue other interests- like spending time in my studio.

I was a little bit off. After this first week, it feels less like a crossroads. Maybe more like a merge onto a highway that goes a slightly different direction
. I haven't found open fields of free time yet. Here is the rundown:

I get up and start my day earlier. It has been good. I stuff to my breakfast plan this week- I want to be committed to sending my kids off with a nutritious breakfast- so I made a plan.
  • Monday= hot cereal
  • Tuesday=eggs
  • Wednesday=pancakes
  • Thursday=muffins
  • Friday=Cook's choice.
It worked well this week, except on Tuesday when the eggs weren't done in time.

Kids
will keep you humble. I was reminded of this again this week.

Making lunches and emptying backpacks takes time too.

The kids are excited about public school. Except Sadie has some complaints:
The school library doesn't have any good books. The public library is way better.
She has to wear shoes all day.
She doesn't get enough free time. Piano lessons will cut into this free time even further.
She won't get to see Maria S. enough.
Otherwise school is okay.

I have a lot of catch-up to do around this house.

School is 23 miles away. If I need to go there, it takes a lot of time from my day. Like if you need to bring your kid to school to apologize to his teacher and principal. Or if you kid needs to run to the clinic for an earache. It's a long round trip.

There is fall produce to deal with.

Four hours between kids getting off the bus and bedtime doesn't feel like enough time with them. And it doesn't feel like enough downtime for them to play, relax, etc.

...So that is the rundown of this week. This week it felt like public school takes almost as much time and effort as home school, except that I do get a break from the commotion. I am sure things will smooth out, though right now I think a three day school week would be perfect. For me.

Oh, well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dunno jan. always takes time to adjust, i guess. the school being 23 miles away would be a bummer though. so, who had to apologize to a teacher?
~ann b.

Cheryl said...

Our school is only 2 1/2 miles away - but the kids still ride the bus for 45 minutes. Go figure. Hope you don't have to run too often, and Sadie sounds like a honey.