At around 8pm we had a long stop in Minot, ND. We had extra time here because we were ahead of schedule, so there was plenty of time to get off, walk around and use the restroom in the station.
I just wanted to show proof that you don't need to go all the way to Montana to find cowboys (or at least the hats.) The young man in the black hat was on the train when I got on. I watched him reunite with his parents and sister in Minot.
I like this photo.
I got a chuckle out of this. As we were sitting at the station, along came the ice cream truck. Obviously they know the train schedule, and it was a good stop for them. Plenty of travelers were in the mood for an ice cream snack. After getting back on the train, I ended up sitting next to a gal in the lounge car who I had seen around all day. Of course, I was curious about her. And I think she was curious about me, too.
Turns out she was traveling with her dad (I had seen him around too.) She is a PhD student in English at University of Conn. She grew up in southern MN, and she was a 4-Her too. She showed cattle just like I did! It was fun to reminisce about those days. We had conversation about women writers from Minnesota and what it was like for her husband to grow up north of Calgary. He is an English PhD student also, at Yale. My conversation with this woman was so much fun! I felt like I could still talk academia a bit, even though I've been out of college for over 10 years. And theorize and discuss literature. Sometimes it is nice to realize your brain has not totally succumbed to mommyhood.
After this I went to bed. I woke up in time to get off the train around 4 am. On a train, the conductor comes around and wakes you up before the stop so you don't miss it.
5 days was the perfect length of a trip for me. I was refreshed and ready to be home, and the kids were happy to see me. It was a good break from "momness." I found out I still am a person beyond the front door- I can travel, I can hike and I can talk to strangers about lots of topics.
I recommend a trip like this to you!
3 comments:
Jan, I really enjoy reading about your travels. It sounds like you had a fulfilling trip :) (ps. I 'm pretty sure if not 100% sure I've seen cowboys in the MN hills!) lol.
It's good to get away sometimes! Glad you had a good trip, I enjoyed your pictures and stories. It makes me want to ride a train sometime.
sounds like a fun train ride! and trip.
it is fun to talk to people and learn their stories. and trains are very good places to do so. the only problem I have is that the rolling motion of trains makes me very very sleepy.
Post a Comment