Sunday, June 28, 2009

A discovery and some resources.

"The bleakness of the landscape is unimaginable. It is as friendless and alien as a Dali painting. Ordinary concerns, such as work or friends, have no place here. Futility muffles thought; time elongates cruelly. Who is to blame for this situation? Those with depression think it must be them. Pointlessness and self-loathing govern them. So the natural final step is suicide. People with depression don’t kill themselves to frighten an errant boyfriend. They kill themselves because it is the obvious and right thing to do at that point. It is the only positive step they can think of."


Kay McKall
an Ipswich (UK) general practitioner
and consumer with depression,
writing in the British Medical Journal
(NAMI Advocate, winter 2002)
Today as I am/was online, I stumbled upon this quote. As you know, depression is a cause near to my heart. I am vocal about my experiences because I hope that if someone is suffering with depression they could find support and know that others have gone through it too- they are not alone. And too, I need to be aware of my health. I have been feeling good, but I know that the possibility of depression recurring is very possible and probably likely for me.

This quote is was from a website that has a pretty clunky design, but some good info. hopeline
From there I found a link to a book which is also has a hokey design, but very good info. (a book about depression) The following quote is from the book: (which can be read online)

I am now the most
miserable man living.
If what I feel
were equally distributed
to the whole human family,
there would be not one
cheerful face on earth.
Whether I shall ever be better,
I cannot tell.
I awfully forebode I shall not.
To remain as I am is impossible.
I must die or be better
it appears to me.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN
who suffered from depression most of his adult life

If you or someone you love is suffering from depression, please GET HELP. If you are local, call me and I can help direct you to some healthcare professionals in the area. Heck, I will call and make the appointment for you and bring you there if you want. I have been there, and I know you can feel better. You are worth it. Do not blame yourself.

No amount of positive thinking alone will cure depression. It is a disease. The book listed above puts it this way:
As powerful as the power of positive thoughts are, depression biologically interferes with the brain's ability to maintain a positive thought for any period of time. Like the farmer who casts his seed upon the rocks, all the positive thoughts in the world presented to the depressed mind will not bear fruit.

5 comments:

MindiJo said...

Wow. So, it's a little like that.

This is a great post to share with people.

Anonymous said...

good post and quotes.

though I love Dali, so to me his paintings do not seem an apt description of the bleakness of depression. :)

ethiopifinn said...

I really appreciate this post. Sometimes it is good to have a measuring stick like those quotes.

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Jan, thanks for the post. Really.
Jen

~ Junkyard Jennifer said...

Definitely a good post. I often forget to post about it since I've been so healthy, myself! But so many others are suffering and we need to be there for them. Good reminder!