Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Jan's Gourmet Tuna Noodle

I have never posted a recipe. Until now. I was making tuna noodle last night and I remembered that Jennifer S. wanted me to post my recipe. So here Jennifer, is my tuna noodle.

Oh, and all of you out there who think tuna noodle is gross, ought to try this. If you like tuna. It is nothing like the tuna noodle made with canned cream-of-something soup. That's gooshy. I am a cream soup snob.
Cook up the egg noodles. Last night I used whole grain noodles, and I really liked them. I am now to the point of only using WW pasta around here. No pasty white stuff for my family.
Toss the noodles into a sprayed casserole dish and set aside.

Set the oven for 375. Make up some crumbs for the top- use some bread crusts mixed with a bit of melted butter. Last night I mixed the bread crumbs with olive oil and salt and pepper. That worked fine. Or use leftover crunched up potato chips or those french fried onions in a can.

Saute up some celery, onion and fresh mushrooms (these are key to my gourmet recipe) in butter. Add a 1/4 cup flour, stir it up good and cook for a bit. This is your thickener. Add 1 cup milk, farm milk is best, and 1 cup of chicken broth. (I confess, I often use granulated chicken broth with water. Unless I have broth on hand from a recently cooked chicken. I rarely buy chicken broth.) The original recipe called for dry mustard powder but I never have any on hand, so if I remember I squirt a bit of yellow mustard in. Also, taste it and add more salt if needed. Cook until thick and bubbly. I often get impatient with this step, and don't get it thick enough. Just take some deep breaths and keep stirring. It is worth it.

Add your tuna. 2 small cans. A note on tuna: Don't use Starkist. It is mushy instead of chunky. Geisha is good, and the store brand around here, Our Family, is great. I also add some frozen peas, but I forgot last night.

Mix with the noodles, top with your crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes. Now taste Jan's Gourmet Tuna Noodle. It's good, yes? A wonderful comfort food.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny....I made tuna casserole the other week for the first time in I bet over 20 years. I winged it with cream of mushroom soup and elbow macoroni. I topped it with french fried onion rings. It was OK. We ate it but I don't have plans to make it for another 20 years. But, I JUST might try your recipe. It sounds tastier than mine. I'm a tuna snob. I only like Bumblebee Solid White Albacore in water. Or maybe I'll try your recipe with canned chicken. (or leftover chicken)

Anna said...

This sounds yummy! I'll add it to the menu:)

MindiJo said...

I, also, am a creamed soup snob. Do not use it. It weirds me out. What is it? I will try this. It sounds fantastic.

Anonymous said...

That sounds good...and I don't even like Tuna Casserole. Probably because of the tuna often used and the cream soup factor. I don't make anything with cream soups anymore... I might have to try this sometime!

I love Bumblebee Solid White Albacore. It's firm and it holds up well. I've never had Geisha before but now you've got me interested! I'll have to give it a try. :)

Yvonne said...

do try with cooked chicken cut up, you may not go back to the tuna!

Jan said...

I guess I like to use tuna, as it is a cheap source of good protein. And something different from the chicken and beef we eat a lot. Plus it is the only fish Ron will eat willingly. (I like fish.) I go to the neighbors for my fish yen. I kinda like the flavor of regular tuna, the white stuff is more expensive.

Jen S., maybe you want to weigh in here on the benefits of tuna...

ethiopifinn said...

Jan, i just love the way you added the encouragement to the recipe. That is the tastiest bit for me :)

Jennifer Skoog Photography said...

Jan, this recipe is a great makeover to the "regular" one! Yum. I will have to make it soon. Now, Russ H is up here and it's fun when he eats dinner w/ us so we don't have so many leftovers. :)

yay for WW noodles. Tuna is a cheap source of Omega-3s!! (anyone who knows me knows my passion for Omega 3s, an esential type of fat we.do.not.get.enough.of. Plus, chunk light tuna is cheaper and has way less mercury than albacore!

BTW, your hubby's quite the model, hey? Funny stuff. I have to say my hubby's usually good for laughs, too.