The last couple of weeks have been filled with ups and downs and sideways swoops.
Last week a dear friend passed away, ending her battle with cancer. I know from conversation with her, that she "had her bags packed" and was ready to go, though it was hard to leave her husband and children behind. When I heard the news, my reaction was (first, disbelief) and then I tried to fathom what I could do to help, to lessen the grief and the pain. I realized that I cannot take that away from anyone else, the only thing to do was to feel my own grief, cry my own tears.
So I did. And I didn't let myself feel guilty for letting housework slide and taking naps, though it seemed counterintuitive to do that at times.
In addition last week, a flu bug was circling the house, the vacuum cleaner went kaput, calves were sick...I just had to allow for a tough week.
This week has been brighter. I am physically feeling better and I started a new part-time position in a familiar place (remember my "fun job"? I am back there) with some new roles in addition to my old one. I will once again be doing activities at an assisted living home, plus some additional projects.
It really does feel like home there, and I so enjoy helping people smile and have some fun.
On the way home from my first day there, the transmission went out on our van. It wasn't a shock, we knew it was coming, but didn't know when. So, we added van shopping to our list this week, starting with lots of time online, looking at options. The cheapest options to a brand new van has been considered, with no final decisions yet.
Because I like to stay busy, I have a few 4-H projects of my own going on too.
This weekend I will be attending a training to serve as the coordinator of our county 4-H shooting sports and wildlife group. This means I will be organizing other volunteers who know more about shooting sports, finding wildlife experts to teach the kids, planning shooting time at ranges and trying to drum up some equipment and ammo for the kids to use.
Why am I putting my time and energy towards this? Because it's an opportunity for my kids and others to learn safety and sportsmanship (and more safety) from people who are enthused to do so. I encourage my kids to have hobbies, and this is one that they can do their whole life. Also, we live in the mecca for hunting and wildlife, so we may as well take advantage of it. Finally, I find it rewarding to help provide such opportunities for other kids besides my own.
Secondly, I am helping coordinate the revived 4-H Ambassador group in my county, as well.
I will be "guide on the side" for high school aged 4-Hers, as they promote, participate and invigorate the 4-H program in the county and state.
The photo above is of a science exercise I did with the youth at the first meeting. The milk represents the county, the colors represent the different clubs and project areas, and the cotton swab has dish soap on it, representing the ambassadors. The soap caused the colors to swirl and move, sort of vibrating through the milk. This is what we hope ambassadors are for the County 4-H program.
So, swirling and swooping, we continue on. The fall colors are vibrant here in my yard as we prepare for the onset of winter and whatever else is to come.

No comments:
Post a Comment