As promised awhile ago, I am writing my version of stuffed jalapeños. In time for any S. Ladies desperately trying to figure out something to make for the bake-off. I think these would qualify? I won't be at SLW this year, so feel free to steal the recipe, but please give me credit. As in, call them Jan's Stuffed Jalapeños.
(And if you win, you could share some of the prize with me.)
I promise, they are not as hot as you'd think, as long as you remove every last seed from the peppers. And I do wear gloves when I deseed and cut them. If you don't gloves handy, last time I did wear plastic baggies on my hands and that worked too. I have also read that peppers with striations on the outside, little brown lines on the skin, are hotter. Something to do with stress when the pepper was growing.
So, stick to those two rules and you will not burn your mouth.
I buy a dozen peppers for a batch. Last time I made these, the peppers were on sale for $1 a pound, so it was a cheap deal.
I line a cookie sheet with foil and heat the oven to 375 degrees.
Mix 3/4 cup cream cheese, 1/4 c fresh cilantro, 1 1/2 tsp. cumin and 1 tsp salt. I have onion written down with a question mark by it on my notes, but I can't remember what that was supposed to mean. Maybe you could add some finely diced onion?
I stuff the sliced (in half) and deseeded peppers with cream cheese mixture and bake for 20-30 minutes. The cream cheese should be getting toasty on top when they are done.
I have added shredded cheese to the mix, but I didn't feel it lent much to the end result.
Please let them cool a bit before you try them- the flavor gets better and you won't burn your mouth.
Enjoy!
5 comments:
ooh, these sound good. but i'm chicken.
Ooooh! I gotta try them with Cilantro. Good idea.
sounds good! love cream cheese and peppers.
~ann b.
Sounds delish. No SLW? What? It will hardly be right without you.
This is funny, Jan, because Jennifer and I were going to make these for SLW (before we saw your post) but the peppers were too expensive. They are sooo good!
We missed you!!!!
Lindsey
Post a Comment